The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Fire wallet (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mago verza
View Profile
Regular user
kanagawa - japan
103 Posts

Profile of mago verza
I open this post to know if somebody wants to share some ideas how to get spectators' attention using a fire wallet.
I mean in which routine you use the fire wallet as an opener?

thank you
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
I'm not sure what your question means as I'm not aware of another way to grab someone's attention other than simply striking a fire? Caz that in it of itself, is an attention grabber.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
David Stone has some ideas in his book Close Up The Real Secrets of Magic. I've been using a fire wallet as my opener followed up with Extreme Burn.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Jmolomagic wrote:
David Stone has some ideas in his book Close Up The Real Secrets of Magic. I've been using a fire wallet as my opener followed up with Extreme Burn.

Have you had an opportunity to practice much with Hand Out 500?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Not yet! I had that purchase rejected by the wife! I went over the magic purchases for the month. I have to wait.... Smile but it's on the want list.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've stated many times here that I think the use of a fire wallet or flash paper close up in a strolling situation is a bad idea....especially to "get spectators attention" as you said. Some adults are very skittish around fire. I discovered this once when I used a fire wallet and had an entire family start screaming. I apologized and left immediately. I later discovered they had been the victim of a bad house fire. One of the children, (about 7) was in tears after I walked away. It's really just not worth it. And if you are using it to "get attention" I would say that is a crutch. If you are a performer, you should have enough of a personality to just walk up and introduce yourself to someone without resorting to pyrotechnics.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I agree with Pepka, don't use the fire wallet only as a way of getting attention. Walking up confidently, and being friendly with good vocal projection is enough most of the time. In David Stones The Real Secrets of David Stone dvd he states he started using fire wallets as he was at a holiday resort performing for tips and everyone was drinking/drugs and they were ignoring him. So by going up to someone with 'did you loose a wallet' people were naturally interested, and then the fire lit to show he was a magician. So he pretty much had to do something to get attention or he wouldn't get paid, different deal if you're getting paid for your gig by the booker/establishment though.

However if you are looking for tricks that use a fire wallet, get the wallet that doubles as a card to wallet and produce the fire before you remove their card. I also think it's better to perform extreme burn first before opening up the fire wallet, that way you can talk about the IRS burning a hole in your wallet after producing all the money etc

I have a friend who is one of the top magicians in the country (UK) and he uses Jim Pace's Hot Leads for handling out business cards which works well for him.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Fire wallets seem to smell horribly of lighter fluid and that is a real turnoff around food.

I don't think the guys who use them can smell it anymore because they always minimize a big drawback.

-Mary Mowder
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
The Fire wallet is an awesome tool for the professional walk around magician. IMHO, the hardest thing about walk around magic is the approach. The FW can give you an indication about the mood of tables or groups around you. Without some input, you just never know the dynamic of a group you are approaching...did they just lose their jobs? Are they talking about a divorce? A death? If you use the FW at a table and notice surrounding tables smiling at it and interested, you can be more comfortable with an approach. Making cold approaches all night and all your walk around magic career is not easy. Use all the tools available. Use them judiciously.
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Quote:
On May 1, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
Fire wallets seem to smell horribly of lighter fluid and that is a real turnoff around food.

I don't think the guys who use them can smell it anymore because they always minimize a big drawback.

-Mary Mowder

Mary, I never, (well, almost), use my fire wallet indoors. One, for the smell of the fluid, Two, don't want anyone yelling FIRE inside a crowded building.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I use a Fire Wallet in my restaurants all the time. Zippo make a low odor fluid which does indeed have very little odor. I've used the fire wallet for years without complaints from customers or restaurant managers/owners. People love it and often request it. I use it sparingly because I don't want to wear out the dramatic effect.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
FIre wallet is my must have when I am working

Good opener, simply by asking " Did someone drop a wallet ? "

Then they will knwo who you are right away Smile
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On May 1, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:

-Mary Mowder

Mary, this is why I stopped using them years ago. I totally agree.
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
By-The-Way Jamie, Wish you could see the reactions I am getting with Industrial Revelation, Best prop I ever bought!
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
It's a fun toy. I love my fire wallet. I have never used it in a show. For one thing, though I'm usually not one for political correctness, there is a valid concern that some people will freak out. Most of the time, I figure that's their problem, but when I'm performing, my job is to entertain. Second, the smell, though I think Mary exaggerates a bit, is not something I want to force upon anyone (and, though I think she exaggerates its severity a bit, they DO smell of lighter fluid). Third, everyone and his dog already knows about fire wallets. If I'm performing, I want to do the impossible, not something everyone knows you can buy for a few bucks down at the magic shop.

As an opener, it raises another issue, which is that I never go into my magic "cold." They see magic after I've introduced myself and asked permission to invade their table space. I don't force anything on anyone. And of course, by that time, using a fire wallet as an opener just seems silly, because the surprise factor is gone.

The one (and probably only) time I'd use it professionally is if it found a space in a parlor or stage show. Unless I get a good idea to do that, mine will remain a toy and not a professional tool.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Fire wallet (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL