The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New guy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BigJRitch
View Profile
New user
Fort Smith, ARK
22 Posts

Profile of BigJRitch
Hello! Just wanted to say thanks for having me. My name is Jason, 38 y/o, lives in Arkansas. I have been a fan of magic since I was a kid, and just recently over the last few months it has really hit me hard to get into it and perform for friends, co-workers, family, and out and about. My job is in marketing and with the amount of people I see and meet on a daily basis, figure magic is a good ice breaker and conversation starter. I have been married for 10 years. We have a 9 y/o boy, and a soon to be 4 month old baby boy.

I like card and coin magic.

Back when I decided to get into it again I bought The Royal Road to Card Magic as a starting point. I have since purchased a handful of gimmicks and learned several tricks by bouncing around different sites just reading and admiring.

Hope to make some friends, share some ideas, and learn...learn...learn.

Thanks,
J
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome BigJRitch,

Sounds like you are having a good time.

I'll look for you in "Table Hoppers and Party Strollers".

-Mary Mowder
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
56 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
Welcome Jason..... You will find enough info at the Magic Café' to fill many top hats..
Just curious, as to where you purchase your "props" from ??? I had a local shop, but just last month they reduced inventory by 75 %, so now I buy majority from EBAY..
cheers,
don

Smile
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Hi there Jason,
I hope you enjoy the Café. Also, Djjkarate. Buy Magic from our advertizers here at the Café.
Keith
SHAZAM!
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
56 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
Reply to Kbuck54.... I honestly didn't even realize they were there.. So new to all the topics that I am glassy-eyed and missed them !!!!!

sssiiiigggghhhh....tough to get old..

Smile
BigJRitch
View Profile
New user
Fort Smith, ARK
22 Posts

Profile of BigJRitch
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
Welcome BigJRitch,

Sounds like you are having a good time.

I'll look for you in "Table Hoppers and Party Strollers".

-Mary Mowder

Quote:
On May 5, 2014, Kbuck54 wrote:
Hi there Jason,
I hope you enjoy the Café. Also, Djjkarate. Buy Magic from our advertizers here at the Café.
Keith

Quote:
On May 5, 2014, djjkarate wrote:
Welcome Jason..... You will find enough info at the Magic Café' to fill many top hats..
Just curious, as to where you purchase your "props" from ??? I had a local shop, but just last month they reduced inventory by 75 %, so now I buy majority from EBAY..
cheers,
don

Smile

Thanks for the welcome!

I have spent my money recently at MJM, Ellusionist, Penguin Magic, and Dave's Killer Magic Shop.
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
56 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
Oh...I've bought from Daytona Magic several times...They've done well for me...
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
BigJRitch,

Hi! If you haven't already, you might want to check out some of the business card magic available.

I have an inexpensive business card peek wallet that I use when exchanging business cards. Not only is it a great ice-breaker, you can use it to make a memorable impression and make them remember you. One of the things I do is while exchanging business cards, I ask them to draw something or write something on their business card that represents something important to them or their business. They place it in my b.c. wallet and I draw or write something very similar and put it in their wallet where they can't see it. I always get a call the next day.

KJ
BigJRitch
View Profile
New user
Fort Smith, ARK
22 Posts

Profile of BigJRitch
Quote:
On May 6, 2014, djjkarate wrote:
Oh...I've bought from Daytona Magic several times...They've done well for me...

I will definitely check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
On May 8, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
BigJRitch,

Hi! If you haven't already, you might want to check out some of the business card magic available.

I have an inexpensive business card peek wallet that I use when exchanging business cards. Not only is it a great ice-breaker, you can use it to make a memorable impression and make them remember you. One of the things I do is while exchanging business cards, I ask them to draw something or write something on their business card that represents something important to them or their business. They place it in my b.c. wallet and I draw or write something very similar and put it in their wallet where they can't see it. I always get a call the next day.

KJ

WOW, that sounds killer. Can you link me to the wallet?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Hi. It is called the Magic Wallet Trick. Here is the link where I got it, at Penguin:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2258

It is very inexpensive. I have a few of these.

I see that it has mixed reviews. However, it is just a simple wallet and the method couldn't be easier. As with many magic props, it's not about the prop, it's about how it is used. By the way, I think a couple of the reviewers were confused. This is not a regular wallet. This is only a business card wallet. There is no space for money. I suppose you could put a credit card in it, but I use it only for business cards. I fill all the slots except for the peek slot with some of my business cards, and I reserve the peek slot for other people's business cards. You will see below how this is instantly reset so I can do this with multiple people I exchange business cards with.

When meeting people, I frequently do only this (no other tricks), and I don't make a "trick" out of it. I simply have them write or draw something on their card that I will look at later and I'll do the same on my business card. I explain that it will give us something to remember our meeting and maybe something to talk about next time. Because they are looking at what I wrote or drew after our meeting, perhaps later that evening, they are not even thinking about it as a magic effect. Also, I hand them my pen, which is justification for them to write something on their card and then hand me the pen for me to write something on my card. When they see my card later and call, at that point, they are so amazed, they might even be a bit freaked out. At that point, I tell them that I am also a magician. I want to keep it light and fun.

If someone asks me to do some magic, I sometimes use this as well, especially if there is someone I don't know in the group. It gives me a chance to exchange business cards with someone new. In that case, I first ask to exchange business cards. I usually have them imagine something simple, a shape a simple drawing, etc. I have them imagine it in front of them. I then give them back their business card along with a pen and have them draw it on the back of their business card

One more little touch. If you have other people's business cards in the peek compartment, take a random card and cut out a center hole, same size or larger than the peek. Place it in the peek compartment. Place a couple of other people's business cards above it. Take their business card face down, telling them that you don't want to see it until later. Show them as you slide it face down in between other business cards from other people. Then, have them do the same and remind them not to look at what you wrote until later.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
BTW, one more comment about the "Magic Wallet Trick". If you do the business card exchange version, be prepared to write something in case you can't see what they wrote. Sometimes people will scribble or write on the edge of the card. This doesn't happen very often, but it can. In that case, just have something prepared to write on your card. What I do in that case is I'll write "Ask me about __" and I fill in the blank with whatever I think we should talk about next time we meet or talk over the phone. With this little strategy, you never go wrong with this one.

If you do it as just a magic trick, if it goes wrong, just say "I'm not getting anything.", as in you aren't reading their mind. If they wrote on the edge, you could take out the card, without looking at it, and ask them to draw something simple on the other side, and point to the middle of the card and move your finger around like you are drawing. Also, have another effect ready. I don't carry playing cards or any other "magic" props with me, other than what I have in my wallet or on my keychain. I do have a few things in both, and somebody always has coins, napkins, etc. For example, check out Matt Johnson's "Melt". I have a variation of this built from a Starbux gift card. That one even fooled my wife. I also have Jay Sankey's "Scar Tissue" that is really good. One of these days, I am going to make custom business cards using the "Scar Tissue" concept.

Enjoy!

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New guy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL