The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Erotic netsuke (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Catch of the day, a Japanese erotic netsuke in ivory. Maybe the start of a story...
But on the back of the netsuke there's a text in japanese. Someone could help me with a translation?

AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
"Made in China".
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2014, AttnPls wrote:
"Made in China".

Just spit up my morning coffee on the monitor, in a burst of laughter...

Very nice find, Curator!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Made in Belgium should be worst...
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I think she is an escapologist having a practise.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
It could be a punished girl having a public humiliation. The Japanese writing seems quite old, but I ain't an expert.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I can tell you that it's written in mostly Katakana, the Japanese phonetic alphabet generally reserved for writing foreign words. Otherwise, the Japanese use the Kanji symbols like the Chinese.

Since there is so much Katakana, I'm curious if this item was made as a souvenir for foreigners.

The Katakana alphabet is not very large. You could probably just do a Google search and find the alphabet and translate the symbols phonetically. It may be Japanese writing for foreign words, so you may be surprised that you understand what it says. If nothing else, you may be able to throw it into Google Translate at that point.

Google (and Bing) is able to translate written Japanese in pictures. I did try it on your photo but it was having a hard time clearly seeing the letters.

Japanese can be written horizontally or vertically. Since your writing is a perfect grid, its hard to tell... but if I had to guess,it does look a little more horizontal.

You can get it translated for $5 on Fiver: http://www.fiverr.com/limonata/translate......japanese

Good luck! I really would like to know what it says when you finally get it properly translated.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Made in China by the J A PAN Corporation.

It is a beautiful piece Curator.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
At first glance, I am pretty sure this is Japanese. (I collect and adore Netsukes!) Erotic Netsukes have a long-established background in Japan, with very over-emphasized body parts, especially of the male and female 'parts' and the female breasts. I won't go into the reasoning here, for I might be banned. Give me a bit and I will try to translate into English.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
The first line means "Under the City of Aichi later". The rest seems to be in a combo of Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana, (I am not so great at the more complex characters.) The gist of many words seems to be about life, death, burial, and living for the moment. Clearly, the Netsuke characters are doing just that. Rock on, little Netsuke! Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
We'll find out, nothing resists the bizarrists. Smile
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I don't have a lot of netsukes, but this one, is my favorite.
A late eighteenth century netsuke of Gama Sennin, the Immortal with a toad.

Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2014, The Curator wrote:
Someone could help me with a translation?

My wife couldn't read it. Says some of the characters are Japanese and some look to be Chinese. But none of it makes sense as a written text. Sorry.

But the good news is, you're free to make up your own translation (as long as you're not showing it to anyone from Japan). Have fun.
Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Erotic netsuke (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL