The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Tapes Thru Body (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I recently purchased an old effect called "Tapes Thru Body" that was released by Son-Shine Ministries out of Holiday, Flordia. Of course, it came with no instructions.
It is very well made with heavy duty strap material, metal clips and rings, and NO velcro.

I can't seem to figure out how to do the effect. It was apparently a gospel effect of some kind.

Anyone recognize this? Have the instructions?

Thanks in advance!

Click here to view attached image.
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I'm not familiar with your particular version, but it was my thinking that many "tapes" through body effects used the Grandmother's Principle: Wilson's book, and Tarbell 1 p321

yet, since your tapes have metal hooks and clasps, suggest a different approach, possibly the hooks are use in what's referred to as a "Post and Ropes" Ency of Rope Tricks p336

Then there is a "Best Yet Rope Penetration" that uses three sections: two have hooks and one is a loop. The loop is what would go through your body, and the sections with hooks are connected in a somewhat elaborate way (behind your body) to the loop section (to allow the penetration) and the other ends would be stretched out (and visible). Yet the "hooks" in the picture I am looking at are just open hooks (like ones that would hold a tea cup by its handle). This is in the Ency. of Rope Tricks p402

Another approach could use a method that allows the tape-loop to slide through the clasps, the method would be like the old trick of passing a loop of string through your neck, or passing a silk through a pole. This is a nice effect, but wouldn't need the other two pieces that you have.

Just some thoughts
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Thanks, John! These are the first leads I've gotten! I will check them all out and report back. This is quite a mystery.
John Russell
Mastering Magician
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The "Best Yet Rope Penetration" seems like a close match, the others are mainly other ways to do essentially the same effect. Do you have Ency of Rope Tricks?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Not at the moment. I have Abbott's version, but those effects aren't in there. I'll try and track one down.
John Russell
Mastering Magician
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
With Bob Sheets' "Hang 'em High" available, I don't know why anyone would use two ropes or ribbons instead of one for a rope-through-body effect.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2014, Mike Ince wrote:
With Bob Sheets' "Hang 'em High" available, I don't know why anyone would use two ropes or ribbons instead of one for a rope-through-body effect.

I've had "Hang 'Em High" for at least 20 years, but I think there is still something to be said for the old two ropes with one tied around the performer or the "spectator who becomes an assistant" and then pulled through. There are a couple limitations with "Hang 'Em High."
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2014, jnrussell wrote:
I recently purchased an old effect called "Tapes Thru Body" that was released by Son-Shine Ministries out of Holiday, Flordia. Of course, it came with no instructions.
It is very well made with heavy duty strap material, metal clips and rings, and NO velcro.

I can't seem to figure out how to do the effect. It was apparently a gospel effect of some kind.

Thanks in advance!

This appears to be a version of U. F. Grant's Walking Through a Ribbon which was first advertised in May of 1945. At least according to Leo Behnke whose magic kit "50 of the Greatest Magic Tricks of the Past 50 Years" contains a bit of apparatus that closely resembles the item in your attached photo.

The trick works by convincing the audience that the loop is a single strand with rings on each end. As you wrap it around your assistant you slide both rings to the same end of the loop. The ends are held in place by the assistant and the other ribbons are attached to the rings. When these ribbons are pulled the rings slide to either end of the loop giving the illusion that the ribbon has penetrated her body. It's like the old loop through neck trick most of us learned as a child.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On May 1, 2014, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2014, jnrussell wrote:

Thanks in advance!

This appears to be a version of U. F. Grant's Walking Through a Ribbon which was first advertised in May of 1945. At least according to Leo Behnke whose magic kit "50 of the Greatest Magic Tricks of the Past 50 Years" contains a bit of apparatus that closely resembles the item in your attached photo.

The trick works by convincing the audience that the loop is a single strand with rings on each end. As you wrap it around your assistant you slide both rings to the same end of the loop. The ends are held in place by the assistant and the other ribbons are attached to the rings. When these ribbons are pulled the rings slide to either end of the loop giving the illusion that the ribbon has penetrated her body. It's like the old loop through neck trick most of us learned as a child.

I'm not familiar w/Grant's method, but that description is along the line of what I was trying to describe in the last of the possibilities that I listed. It just wasn't clear from the picture if the clasps would *slide* along the their loop. But in thinking about it, that is what probably has to happen.

The "Best Yet Rope Penetration", as I mentioned initially, uses hooks that are open (basically "U" shaped), and the method seems to require that - the directions seem to state the the hook will come off one section of the loop and reconnect onto another (an operation that I would need to see to understand/believe).

The above "sliding" method is also describe in Boyko's "A twist through the wrist" (in Elliott's The Best in Magic). For this, it uses paper clips and a loop of string.. A related effct is "Cyro's Super-Duper Rope Trick". With a name like that, how can you go wrong. This uses 3 rings and a loop of rope/tape Ency Rope Tricks p343.

Soooo, I am tending to agree w/Payne, except I don't think you need to convince the audience that the loop is just a single piece, but you should handle it as a single piece, and not advertize that the clasps freely move across the length of the loop.

To the original post, these types of penetrations do appear in some gospel presentations. I see them in Del Wilson's 12 gospel tricks w/a rope, and Todd's The gospel in ropes. But each of these use a more traditional grandmothers necklace method or a "post and ropes" method (which just uses some solid object as a temporary "hold", replacing the thread)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I do a very simple version of "ropes thru body". The simpler, the better, as far as I am concerned...allows me to concentrate on presentation.

Kills 'em every time.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Mike, care to share your approach via pm?
John Russell
Mastering Magician
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I use a version that I got from Jef Easton (KANDU).
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Mystery solved! Daryl of Daryl.net Magic who tipped me to Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic in the chapter on "penetrations". It was in volume 2, page 59. It was indeed, Mr. Payne, UF Grant's "Walking thru a Ribbon". John Long, you also helped steer me in the right direction, and a tip of the old magical top hat to you too!

Thank you to everyone who submitted ideas and direction on this. Now I can begin to practice and develop a routine!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
785 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
Gospel app that I use, bound by the cords of sin> set free by the blood.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I'm glad that you found a definitive source for the instructions.

Now the question remaining is, why weren't you supplied with instructions initially ??
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Bought it used online from an estate sale.
John Russell
Mastering Magician
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Thank you Rev Bill!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, jnrussell wrote:
Bought it used online from an estate sale.

I see said the blind man, who took the hammer and saw.

Anyway, I just noticed that this thread is in the Good News section, so I'll add a related penetration effect.

The basic effect is a person is tied up with ~20 ft of rope. The ends of the rope are given to two other volunteers, but the third is sitting and fully tied up. but with a small instruction (or act) from the magi, the ropes fall away from the spectator. (The magi either slips away a small post that the spec is holding, or has the spec slip his hands from the rope)

(this "tie" is in Abbott's uncanny rope mystery, p340 of the Ency of Rope Tricks; :Imprisoned Yet Free", 12 Gospel Tricks with a rope, by Del Wilson, and "He sets the Prisoner Free", The Gospel in Ropes by Jim Todd. I think this method is referred to as a "post and rope", and appears other places in the Ency of Rope. Otherwise, I've not seen this elsewhere, but it is somewhat akin to how Cords of Fantasia works, and that is in Wilson's Complete Course in M)

There are different ways to give this as a gospel message. I like the idea of having the spec hold onto a small cylindrically shaped object that will represent sin in his life (In this case, the rope is tied around this object instead of the specs hands.) As long as the spec holds onto his sin/post he is trapped in the rope. Yet, as soon as the post is slid out from the rope (representing repentance), the ropes fall off and he is free.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Tapes Thru Body (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL