The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What makes modern coin magic so good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alexanderN
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
72 Posts

Profile of alexanderN
I know that "modern coin magic" is a good book. But why do you think it is one of the best books in coin magic?

Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's a great place to start. It has material for the platform, parlor, dinner table and for standing around the water cooler. It has contributions from very talented people. It's a kind of 101-102 level course in coin magic. Not bad for something you can get at the local bookstore. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
Jon,

I couldn't agree more. Bobo put together an extremely well-rounded assortment of material for the beginner and intermediate magician. Everything you need to know to get started in coin work is in that tome (as plain and simple as it may appear - but don't judge this book by its cover Smile ).

I'm not trying to say that it is the end all, be all to coin magic. In fact, some of the material contained within, seemed to me, to be somewhat dated. But not when I first bought it. This was the first book dedicated solely to coin magic that I purchased, and I remember ravaging through it then setting it down. Then I would come across something that seemed familiar to me, go check in the book, and sure enough...there it was! (or at least a variant)

I mean, you COULD go out and spend 30-100 bucks on beginner videos or miscellaneous other books on coin work, but why, when you can pick up a copy of Bobo's book from the corner bookstore for about $10-$15 (and have enough material to work on for a looonnng time). Smile

Those would be some of my reasons anyway. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
In short, scope.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
IT will cost more than $10 -$15.00 if you follow my advice and get the hard cover eddition. It has more material and larger type and drawings so it is easier to learn from. This will be a book that takes awhile to read and learn from and you will go back to it in the years to come. Invest in a quality copy and you will be happier.

Even though it doesn't cover the leading edge moves of today, it does cover the leading edge moves of yesterday and if that is all you ever learned, you would have learned alot. It also preps you for the future study of David Roth, and Kaufman, Schneider, and Latta, Stone etc., etc.

Kirk
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
Kirk,

A friend of mine at the magic shop was telling me that I should pick up a hardcover copy of it as well, but he never went into detail as to why (conversation moved on Smile ). If I would have had any idea that it contained more information and illustrations, I would have bought one THAT day!

Oh well, now I do, and THE next time I go by the shop I'll grab one. Smile
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I've read Bobo cover to cover 3x so far... and I'm certain I'll read it again in the near future. It certainly lays the foundation for a coin beginner and everytime I read it I pick up a few new moves. Smile
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
The hardcover edition of Bobo that is currently available is called "The New, Revised, Modern Coin Magic", and is the 1966 edition, published by Magic, Inc. The Dover edition that is available in most bookstores is a reprint of the original edition of 1952, published by Carl Waring Jones, and out of copyright, therefor available for reprint by anyone, hence the Dover edition. The difference is significant, since the revised edition contains several completely new chapters, as well as revisions of the existing text and additions to the original material. There are whole chapters on coin box magic that were not in the first edition, and there are attributions that are missing from the first edition. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money for the Magic, In. edition - it is well worth the dough!

As to what makes it so good? It teaches you the fundamentals of coin magic. Bobo collected existing material, including things from Downs "Modern Coin Manipulation", his own earlier efforts, classic material from Robert-Houdin, L'Homme Masque, some carnie hustles, etc. and gives us a historical perspective on the growth of coin magic. Many of the early items he describes have stood the test of time and continue to be entertaining magical experiences for audience world-wide.

Consider the "Shower of Money", or "Miser's Dream", as we now know it. Robert-Houdin introduced it, with the help of Angelo Lewis (Professor Hoffmann), to the English-speaking world, and T. Nelson Downs entertained Kings and Queens, heads of state, Presidents, with his interpretation of it. Men like Charlie Miller and Al Flosso gave us versions of Downs masterpiece, and put it in the hands of modern conjurors, making it useful in smaller venues.

Consider next "The Free and Unlimited Coinage of Silver". Imagine great magicians strolling the marketplace in 19th century France, breaking loaves of bread to find GOLD COINS! Albert Goshman made a modern miracle of coin magic based on these "old" tricks. Salt shakers shook the magic world, and coins appeared everywhere!

A simple chinese conjuror, known best for his stage pageantry, contributed a single coin effect that became the basis of one of our greatest contemporary artist's reputation. Slydini owes the same debt to Han Pien Chien that you and I do, and we owe another debt to Slydini. We stand "on the shoulders of giants", to quote another famous man...

All the tools are there, vanishes, productions, switches, substitutions. The METHODS you need to produce miraculous effects. And then the effects. Old or new, large and small, stage or close-up, they are the stuff of legend. Cardini teaches you to produce a quartet of coins, Howie Schwartzman helps you beat the "taxman" - oh, IRS beware, conjurors are on the loose!

The seventh son of a seventh son, the seventh generation of a venerable Dutch family, steeped in the lore and tradition of a rich magical history, gives you a small round pillbox, and men who know him offer miracles with it. Yes, Okito!

Is there anything "modern" in "Modern Coin Magic"?
Look at the riches in the trick coin sections. Imagine doing without utility items like C/S or Shell coins. Connie Haden changed the way we conjure yet again, opened vistas unimagined just a generation before. ROV? and Mickey Silver? Thank God for Bobo, the treasure trove of material that included T.J. Crawford's illusive retention of vision vanish!

The list is long, and I could write much more, but you get the point. Bobo is rich in history, method, and effect. And it is the cornerstone of "Modern Coin Magic"...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
One more point,

As I understand it, the hardcover "Expanded" (New, revised, etc) is no longer being printed. The last printing I know of was done in 2002. It still says Magic Inc.

If you can get it, please, do yourself a favor, DO SO!!
Mine came as a surprise Christmas Present, and after having lost my original (I've moved so many times...), I finally see the difference between it, and the "Dover" edition...WOW...

Doug
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
* did not intend to bypass the latest edition of the book, just suggested that for the cost consious beginner, the Dover version would suffice for a few years of startup education.

after you get though the first half of the book, the works of Downs and Sachs and Hilliard ... will make more sense.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2004-01-12 20:37, JonTown wrote:
* did not intend to bypass the latest edition of the book, just suggested that for the cost consious beginner, the Dover version would suffice for a few years of startup education.

after you get though the first half of the book, the works of Downs and Sachs and Hilliard ... will make more sense.

I couldn't agree more, Jon! I just wanted the bibliographic record set straight for those who want to know. Either version is so packed with info that if you have never read it you'll be busy for quite a while. And of course, you are right, the Dover edition is easier to find and much more affordable. By all means, buy the Dover version first. If you graduate to the revised edition, the Dover makes a great copy for notes...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I knew J.B. Bobo. The amount of work that he put into this book is fantastic. And in a way, ALL modern coin work builds on the foundation that he laid with this book. If you don't get the hardback, at least get the paperback.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
theonejimmie
View Profile
New user
Phila., Pa.
54 Posts

Profile of theonejimmie
PCHOSSE;

I was going to sing my praise of this book, but I could not come close to your review.
Well Said!
Smile
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Paul,
Beautiful.

b
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
This is one of the books I go back to from time to time.

I was "raised" on books and manuscripts.

While I see the value of videos and dvd's.
Sometimes I need to remember routines I had discarded, and to keep it simple.

I like going back to the basics.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What makes modern coin magic so good? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL