The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » DC's Tornado of Fire show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skilusion
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of skilusion
I am just as amazed by the technical side of illusion shows, the illusions themselves. Did you see the show that DC taped for his Tornado of Fire show where he performed in the round? How do you think the illusions were placed on stage? Was the entire show in the round? I am just curious to see what people think as to how it was done.
skilusion
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Having taped several television specials (I am a cameraman by trade) I can assure you that the taping of the one-hour special was not done in one hour. Several illusions are sometimes performed multiple times. Some of the close-ups may even be shot after an audience has left. They are called cutaways and are sometimes difficult to shoot without disrupting the flow of an illusion.

Case in point if you watch one of his specials (I think it is the one where he escapes from the straightjacket with the rope on fire?). In this special he is performing on stage and there is a shot taken from a camera that is very close to him. It is a steadicam shot and the cameraman is right on stage beside him. They then cut immediately to a wide shot and the cameraman is no where to be seen. It was obviously a shot from a second or third run through. This is not to say there is any tricky editing (IN this case) but makes the show much more appealing to the viewer.

As for moving props on stage it can be done between recordings or if real sensitive, curtains could be flown in and then removed prior to rolling tape.

My 2 cents
Scott
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
I believe the TOF special was taped over a two- or three-day time period. When it comes to taping magic specials, the emphasis is on the television audience, not the live audience. Thus, if the live audience sees how something is done, it is not important because everything is geared to the impression being made on the much larger TV viewing audience.

It is true that there were multiple takes, multiple performances of the same illusions, etc. in order to get all of the shots. It turned out wonderfully though and I assure you, if you go see DC's live show you will find it even more amazing than what you saw on TV! It's all the same and better, no trick photography!

--Jack Smile
i-o-f
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of i-o-f
Hi There,

The special was taped in five days! Two days with a complete audience. During these days they only did the audience participation stuff, some applause cues and panorama shots but little illusion shots. The illusions (like Laser etc.) were shot separately on the other three days, with just parts of the audience (just the guys in the back of the stage and the first rows in front).

Oliver
Oliver

c/o www.oliverdeluca.de
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Hi Oliver,

Sounds like you were at the taping. Seems like you have a lot of information about how the show was recorded. Were you there? If so, how did they go about selecting audience members? Just curious.

Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » DC's Tornado of Fire show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL