The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi magical friends (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thielo
View Profile
New user
Germany
6 Posts

Profile of thielo
My name is Heinz and I am living in Germany near Hamburg.
I am a member of the MZvD and the MZ of Hamburg.
My magical activities are focused on parlor magic and on the other side mystical story-telling.
I wish to meet in this "Café" a lot of friends in the future.
Greetings to all Smile
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Welcome to the Café, Heinz.
Enjoy the magic and feel free to as questions.
Shazam
Keith
SHAZAM!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Welcome Heinz!

I love story telling and engaging an audience in a story or plot. I hope you enjoy the café.

kj
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome thielo,

I'm into Parlor Magic too.

I love a story well told but I've yet to connect with one magically for myself.

I admire anyone who does it well.

-Mary Mowder
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
56 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
Welcome to the Magic Café'...... Story telling is awesome.. One of the best story presentations was for the sands of the desert...

cheers,
don

Smile
thielo
View Profile
New user
Germany
6 Posts

Profile of thielo
Hi, thanks for replies.
It seems there are more friends of story telling.
I try to improve my magical work with combining the force of language with very unobstrusive background-music parallel following the dramatical plot of the story. I am searching for a method to bring in some smelling effects but it is difficult to find the right measure and a practicable control system.

Greetings, Heinz
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Heinz,

Hi. One way to bring in more story telling, is to engage the audience. For example, I do an ACAAN routine that involves a lot of banter with the audience. I think if you just expand a routine to include more audience interaction, you have a more entertaining routine.

I might suggest that you get your hands on anything showing Paul Daniels performing. Given he is an actor and magician, you can see how he creates a show by interacting with the audience. His ability to get them involved is amazing. I love to just watch how he uses his face and body to get the audience to react. One really good one to watch is "An Audience with Paul Daniels Live from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival". There is no magic taught, but I believe you can find how to do any of the effects he does elsewhere. He uses stories, but frequently, the stories aren't too long or involved. They are simple stories that rely on a lot of banter with the audience. Watching how he does the routines is priceless.

So, you are interested in smells, eh? I'll send you a PM with an idea.

KJ
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My partner Tom and I used to use pine incense to set the tone for telling tales by the campfire (we were indoors).
We'd just light it and put it out back stage as we are both fairly sensitive to such smells and worried about others who might be as well. Seemed to work fine.

Not all pine incense smells like pine. LOL

-Mary
thielo
View Profile
New user
Germany
6 Posts

Profile of thielo
Hi Mary,
indeed not all incenses are smells as expected. Your way to make a "smell athmosphere" is worth to be tried. Smile

Hi KJ,
thanks for your valuable information. For me your information about interaction with the audience is very relevant for my understanding of parlor magic. I am no "faraway stage magician" but more an magical entertainer like Paul Daniels but very far from Pauls quality. I try to move in tht way.
My understanding of story telling is more telling magical tails (maybe like Mary). In telling tails I am very carefull to involve activities of the audience or playing a very acting role. My aim is to produce an atmosphere with no focus on the magical trick.

-Heinz
thielo
View Profile
New user
Germany
6 Posts

Profile of thielo
KJ,
Thanks for your PM. I am going to make a try Smile
-Heinz
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, thielo wrote:
Hi KJ,
thanks for your valuable information. For me your information about interaction with the audience is very relevant for my understanding of parlor magic. I am no "faraway stage magician" but more an magical entertainer like Paul Daniels but very far from Pauls quality. I try to move in tht way.
My understanding of story telling is more telling magical tails (maybe like Mary). In telling tails I am very carefull to involve activities of the audience or playing a very acting role. My aim is to produce an atmosphere with no focus on the magical trick.

-Heinz

I love it! I think magic can be most powerful when people aren't expecting it. Wow! I can just imagine the power of a performance where people are expecting a story and there is just a little magic moment or two. Even if some people see the magic while others perhaps don't. It's like a few people in a group seeing a UFO and others don't. This sounds very good. Have fun with it.
KJ
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
The story telling I use make the effect almost a side note to the story but then it quickly becomes center stage near the end.
Best wishes,
Harry
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
thielo
View Profile
New user
Germany
6 Posts

Profile of thielo
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, Harry the magic man wrote:
The story telling I use make the effect almost a side note to the story but then it quickly becomes center stage near the end.
Best wishes,
Harry

... to deepen the final Impression. that's it.

-Heinz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi magical friends (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL