The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jose De La Torre... a little bit of history (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Hi friends:

I recently purchased three booklets of this cuban magician called Jose De La Torre, and I must confess I am very impressed.

He was a very intelligent magician with great ideas in cardmagic. His little essay about the false counts is just... amazing!

I only know he was from Cuba, and now he lives in Spain, in a city called Avila. And he must be (i don´t know exactly) an old man now. But I don´t know anything more from him.

So could anyone here tell me more things about him, his life and so on?

Thanks in advance.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Pablo I too would like to know more about him , I Heard he had a beautiful color changing Knife routine.
if some one could please comment.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
For those not familiar with the work of Jose De La Torre (me included), here are some related products:

http://www.mymagic.com/delatorre.htm
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Thanks NeoMagic, but this were the place where I toke the three booklets.

And Vinny, I think that the booklet he wrote with his knives routine is based in a book that Ascanio wrote in Spain called "Navajas y Daltonismo". In fact, Jose De La Torre´s booklet is called "Ascanio´s World of Knives".

Please if anyone here could tell me more info about De La Torre´s life, I will be very pleased.

On the other hand, I must recommend his booklets. As I told before, you will find a very pretty good essay about the false counts, a lot of new sleights, and colour changes very beautiful. Also you will find little gems like some of his routines, and routines of spanish masters like Arturo De Ascanio and Pablo Domenech.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Pablo,

Isn't there a biography of him in his book "Magicana of Havana?"

I saw him lecture in the 70's and he was great. I was particularly impressed with his coin work.

Larry D.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Hi!

I found De La Torre's "Ascanios World of Knives" among a bunch of old books and pamphlets at a dealers stand in Lund (Sweden) during the SMDA Convention last autumn. A GREAT book, but it's obviously only a part of the original "Navajas y daltonismo" by Ascanio.
I's also called "Volume 1." Does anyone know if "Volume 2" was ever published?

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I worked with him a looooooooooong time ago, but don't recall too much. He was an impressive man, and now could be close to 80 years young.

Pablo: Benatar says "Hello" to you... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magically Jose De La Torra marketed several tricks and books years ago. He appeared at Abbott's Get-Together with a very nice stage act. The only thing I remember was his finale where he produced 2 giant brandy snifers after sort of a zombie effect.

He was living in New Jersey and his book Ascanio's World of knives was published in 1975. The address in the book of Jose's studio is 17 Wallace Street, Belleville, NJ 07109.

You might try the address to contact him, as years later there came a short selling period again of his tricks. He marketed the first Ascanio knives in America, and then marketed a higher quality set in the 1980's.
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Quote:
On 2004-02-15 13:00, Pete Biro wrote:

Pablo: Benatar says "Hello" to you... Smile

:-) Thanks Pete, say please "Hello too" to Rafael! ;-)

On the other hand as I told you the last info I had about him is that he was living in Spain, in a city called Avila. At least, that´s the last info I have about him. And I hope he is still alive, because I would love to meet him.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is reported on the Genii Forum and the Café that Jose de la Torre died May, 2012.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#5

YouTube video of his Color Change with a playing card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkTV7MtGvjo&feature=colike

On Genii Forum a Mike King of Dixon, Missouri says he purchased all the rights to the Knives and several packet tricks, before Jose de la torre moved to Spain.

It says Jose de la torre worked for a while at Mecca Magic in New Jersey. I also know Jose de la Torre also traveled to magic shops selling his items to store owners. As Dick Stoner told me he stopped in and sold him some of his packet tricks and Knives, back in the mid to late 1970's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Mark Tessler, who edited one of his (Jose's) books, lives somewhere in Florida if I recall correctly.

He might be able to help with additional information...

Julie
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On 2012-09-22 11:12, Bill Hegbli wrote:
It is reported on the Genii Forum and the Café that Jose de la Torre died May, 2012.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#5

YouTube video of his Color Change with a playing card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkTV7MtGvjo&feature=colike

On Genii Forum a Mike King of Dixon, Missouri says he purchased all the rights to the Knives and several packet tricks, before Jose de la torre moved to Spain.

It says Jose de la torre worked for a while at Mecca Magic in New Jersey. I also know Jose de la Torre also traveled to magic shops selling his items to store owners. As Dick Stoner told me he stopped in and sold him some of his packet tricks and Knives, back in the mid to late 1970's.
amazing color change RIP
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
He did his knives routine for me and my friend in the 70's
at Abbott's .. wow ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
It is a sorry state of affairs currently, that a magician of Jose De La Torre's caliber can pass silently 3 months ago, and here in September there is still no information online about this popular performer. One of fis greatest contributions (but not nearly his only) is Ascanio's World of Knives.

In my research he was known popularly under his performing name as Grandini. He did, in fact, come from Cuba and left as many did when Castro rose to power in that region in 1959. He left at the same time as another magic performer, Jose Souza, and they were reunited a decade later (you will find Jose Souza as a contributor in at least one of De La Torre's publications "Real Magic"). Jose De La Torre applied for Junior Membership in the SAM back in 1949 while he was in Cuba.

He studied Architecture at the University of Havana and after emigrating to the US he worked as an architect in NY. His name began showing up regularly in the 1970s and he was a popular lecturer, inventor, and of course performer. It was mentioned often that he was a very skilled coin manipulator and of course his work with the color changing knives was above reproach. Another closeup classic he was known for was the linking pins. I could find no information about him living in Spain, but much of the time he lived in New Jersey (after leaving New York around the late 70s or early 80s)and it was while there that much of his magic was marketed.

Have any of the major magic publications not printed an obituary or tribute to Mr. De La Torre? If there have been additional details or articles in the past 3 months I (and apparently many others) would love to have that reference info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jose De La Torre... a little bit of history (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL