The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Home Shows (Rephrased) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
Okay, I realize I that my previous post was far too broad to generate useful responses (this is my fault entirely and I want to thank those that did respond).

Our homeshow has come and gone and, due to an INCREDIBLY hectic December for myself in my job and, truthfully, my own procrastination and laziness, I did nothing magical while there. We generated nearly 500 leads through our simple giveaway and the entire affair was deemed a success by the powers that be, as it was our first show.

Now, we have another show in March and dag nabbit, I will be prepared and ready. I am looking for advice that may pertain more specifically to a public homeshow versus a corporate tradeshow. While never having attended a corporate tradeshow, it seems to me that the two are really different animals though they appear, outwardly, to be similar. (Again, I haven't attended any tradeshows, so I'm simply hypothosizing my opinions here and could be completely off-base).

In a corporate function, it would seem to me that many of the attendees have been sent by their companies to gather information about specific products and/or services while at a homeshow (at least the one we just worked) tend to be of the "browsing bored" variety who aren't in the market for anything specific just wandering around.

Our main focus is collecting leads to be called by my telemarketing department in conjunction with a giveaway steak package (we're a home food delivery service). When possible, we set appointments on the spot, but for the most part we're just trying to get folks to try a steak sample and drop their names in the box.

I will be basically flying solo here as far as planning and preparation goes: my parent office showed a rather despicable absence in the planning and execution of our first homeshow. Being familiar enough with my owner's quirks, this is going to be an "easier to seek forgiveness than permission" situation, becaue I know that anything I do will be looked upon happily if I increase our lead generation.

What this boils down to for me, realistically, is that I cannot get them book a larger booth and will be forced to deal with what they book (luckily, they always try to grab corner booths, providing a bit more room).

As I get a more cohesive plan in mind and preparation, I will post it here for critique, attack and suggestion.

For now, would anyone who has worked at a public homeshow be willing to share their experiences with me? I'm currently planning on performing mainly mentalism although I could change my mind as I have a strong close-up repetoire as well...

Just looking for a little guidance...

Thank you in advance

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
You might consider emphasizing magic rather than mentalism, simply because magic being more visual is likelier to stop passersby and bring others over to see what's going on. I know there are people who do mentalism at trade shows, but I think that just as a spectator I'd be more interested in seeing a magic act.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
You are dealing with the public here and they are basically a family audience. A good visual magic show will do more to stop them than the mentalism gig. This is not a highly cerebral group. Lots of gags, bits of business and wow to draw them in and then turn them over to the salesmen. That is your job after all. Just cast the bait and hook them.

Good Luck

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
I do quite a few fairs & festivals and go the annual state conventions every year. I love to do ventriloquism, and would love to do a full act based on this. The fair buyers perceive a better deal if they see many stage props sitting in your booth. I think the same is true with the general public. Hook them in with the things they know straight off, then do things you want to do, such as mentalism Smile
may the Greats Live On!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Home Shows (Rephrased) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL