The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Self Esteem shows (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
Hi I am looking for resources whether they be books, videos or complete course on self-esteem type shows for schools any suggestions? I know CJ Johnson has a course but any other resources you could suggest please let me know

Thanks in advance !!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am going to answer you not as a magician... but as a high school teacher. Self-esteem is a real problem in this world. This is especially true in school where young people who are easily embarrassed are trying to fit in and find their way. On top of that many young people have esteem troubles that stem from their home life. Some of the ways that young people can manifest their lack of self esteem can come out in acting out... Things like drugs, eating disorders, self abuse (cutting), bullying, inappropriate anger, inappropriate sex, depression and I am sure there are more.

If you want to sell your show to school, work up a package where the principals etc. see that your show includes giving kids a tool kit how to deal with self esteem issues. Of course, then you have to be able to deliver, and to that end I would suggest studying some psychology. Try to befriend a counselor and get them to teach you some simple esteem building techniques that you can work into your show.

I think it is a great idea, and I think it might work too. Sadly I lack the expertise you are looking for. I am a terrible counselor. I am percieved as "a nice guy" so kids often open up to me. I cringe whren that happens. A student is getting beaten at home, (Which by law I must report) a family member is in jail, a student is gay, etc. I give them a sympathetic ear, and try to direct them to someone more qualified. Others more qualified will probably have what you are looking for in that arena.

Always remember that free advice is worth every penny you pay for it. That was my free advice.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
You might be interested in "You Are the Star DVD" by Jim Kleefeld. That's an educational show about character-building.

http://jimkleefeld.com/JWKbooks.html

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am always wary when people not trained in what they want to message start to do it as a hook. I am not saying this is what you are doing. I am saying it does indeed happen way too much.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
That's true, Danny, but let's face it, most "experts" are self-proclaimed anyway, particularly when it comes to human behavior. Self esteem is a pretty ambiguous concept.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is also quite harmful to teach it the wrong way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
Thanks for the ideas tip and advice most appreciated indeed
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I just finished my national tour with my inspirational show.

what I can offer you is this.

become an expert. learn all there is to the subject.
in another thread regarding school assemblies I gave my top ten list of things you need to know before you take the leap.
(i would have to ask Donald to find it as he is the guru of finding old threads!)

but you're asking specifically about self esteem
so learn all there is about self esteem. as mentioned talk to a counselor that deals with this subject.
read the books, do the google search.
do everything you can to learn and understand this subject.

really that is the key to having a successful school assembly. you have to know what you are talking about.

i would also employ you to tie in some personal experiences of your own life whether it be struggles of some kind or simply how you over came something.

making it personal will change the whole program from being a telling them what to do To a here is what I did and how I did it. look at me now.

it makes a huge difference in how your program is received!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anyone remember the good old days when someone wanted to be an expert they had to go to school, have lots of hands on experience and take years to do so?

How sad is it that people want to do things like self esteem shows, or drug prevention shows or things that require fairly advanced knowledge and some educational background and all that anyone says to do is Google some things, read a book and find old threads?

If you feel called to do this type of things GET AN EDUCATION for God sake! Yes I am saying put in the heavy lifting and actually BE an expert instead of just acting like one.

But then again why bother right? We have "instant author" kits, we have so many ways in which we "help" people become magicians why not this? Ahh never mind. Continue as you were. Makes perfect sense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I agree with you Danny. Today they just want to mix a few nice thoughts with some magic
And call it an educational show.

No one wants to pay their dues.

Although I will say some subjects don't require the years of experience that you are referring too
THere are some subjects that you can learn the important parts and get the experience
Quickly and put a proper show on.
However I think something like self esteem needs to be thouroughly learned and
Put the time in to fully understand he subject as it goes beyond just telling kids to
Never give up. You need to understand he causes of lack of self esteem. You need to be able to identify the root cause
And be able to help the kids understand how to find that cause. And then how to over come it.

As I have said in previous threads. The days of a magic show with a few tid bits of feel good phrases and don't do drugs
Are gone. You really have to have real content in your show along with a quality show

Sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Some excellent thoughts and recommendations! I paricularly agree with Danny, Sam and Cliffg37. --snd Starrpower's second sentence.

In 1971, North Dakota State University asked me to produce and present a Lyceum program that would create an awareness and foster a concern for our environment (The pollution problem had suddenly become of major concern. Kids in the Dakotas lived in a relatively non polluted environment. I had done several tours with a 'straight' magic show, which had been very well received in the schools that the NDSU served.

I said, "I'm not a scientist!" They said that they didn't expecially want a scientific program. They wanted a create an awareness and foster a concern program.

On the road the entire next season, with a different bureau, I researched, studied and prepared a program that I thought would do what NDSU wanted. Most of the schools in the Dakotas are Kindergarten thru Senior High! --That was especially challenging!

Since I had performed magic since Jr High School, I decided to use various magic effects as VISUAL AIDS. I had considered using projected slides (this was PRE COMPUTERS)but that was too passive. I wanted more than that!.

There had been a few safety magic shows in the schools Lt Lee Estes Kentucky State Police) had been doing a very effective program in his state, using magic and ventriloquism. Carl Pike, ditto. In Chicago area, a fellow had done a health program using magic. There was nothing available in print (no DVDs or Video tapes yet) to study.

I wrote the script and THEN decided "how and what" magic effects would help make the program more graphic and effective. I had seen too many Gospel "magicians" buy some pretty props, and then "drag in" the effect and make it fit their program.

Then I went to a local school where I knew the superintendent and asked to use one of his elementary schools as a "guinea pig". I also asked that his teachers critique the presentation. He agreed, and the kids were enthused +++ the teachers were most helpful with comments.

The following season, I hit the road, and did about 330 programs. It was a very successful tour!

The big point here is RESEARCH, STUDY, and PREPARE A PROGRAM AND THEN, TEST IT OUT. GET CRITIQUES FROM QUALIFIED PEOPLE. And, in planning and preparing, keep in mind that the magic effects ARE VISUAL AIDS! IT IS NOT A SHOW. IT'S AN EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM.

As noted above, too many magicians have just done their magic show and inserted "comments" after each trickPP regarding safety, or drug abuse, or bullying, etc. This just "burns territory" and makes it difficult for a REAL program to get booked. (the cat that has sat on a hot stove lid, is not going to sit on a cold one!!!!!)

P.S.>>> There are basically THREE ways to use a trick as a VISUAL AID.

l. SUBLIMINALLY. The trick effect happens while you are talking. The effect is readily visible and obvious. It need no explanation. In the broadcast media, they would say that you were doing "voice over". I used color changing silk thru hand (using a white silk to a black silk to illustrate air pollution.)

2. The SPRINGBOARD. Speakers and preachers often tell a joke or an anecdote and then "springboard' or segue. They repeat the punch line and use it as a lead in to their presentation. In magic, the performer does s trick and then segues into the point he wishes to make, by using the climax line of the effect. I used FRESH FISH SOLD HERE TODAY. After tearing up the sign, I "realized that I was in trouble". --This was in the opening phase of the program. "MAGIC" got me out of trouble, but, it would take more than a magic trick to get our environment out of its trouble.

3. The SIMILE. The all too familiar: "Let this handkerchief represent our environment,etc." The trick is performed and usually the simile is so fantastic that it loses much of its effect. In general, the trick tends to be "dragged in" by its hind leg! It is my personal opinion thet although the simile technique is much used, it tends to be the weakest method. I suggest it should be used sparingly, and only when other possibilities have been exhausted.

Keep in mind when using a magic effect as a visual aid, that you are not a magician performing a trick. You are a lecturer/teacher, clarifying or illustrating a point. The trick is in lieu of a blsckboard, or a computer projection. You don't take a bow at the end of each trick effect! It is all too easy for the magic to override the message.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am always wary when people not trained in what they want to message start to do it as a hook. I am not saying this is what you are doing. I am saying it does indeed happen way too much.

That is not a good self-esteem booster for the OP. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nor was it intended to be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Self Esteem shows (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL