The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Lyle Laughlin's 3 to 1 rope trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the booklet put out by Karl Fulves that explains Lyle Laughlin's (Carlyle) 3 to 1 rope trick? This trick is usually attributed to Tommy Osborne. I do have a copy of Osborne's version but I am interested in seeing the one attributed to Lyle Laughlin.
Regards,
Barry Moran
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Barry...or Micha-el? Does one of you have a split personality!?

I remember Tom Osborne. We both worked an MAES convntion in 1954!

I was out at my storage facility yesterday, to get some rope, and "found" 3 sets of Osborne's 3 to 1. They're much used and there are no instructions, but if you think you use them, send me a PO address and I'll mail 'em to you.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Dick,
Michael is my middle name, but that avatar (if that what it is called) was taken. So was my first name, Barry. Anyway I settled on a hyphenated middle name. There is no superman connection. Thank you for the offer. I actually have a set of 3 to 1 ropes as well. But ever since I read in Pete Biro's Genii column (quite a few years ago) that Karl Fulves put out Lyle Laughlin's version I have been curious about the difference between the two. Now days I pretty much stick to an abbreviated form of George Sands's, "Ropesational". Although I have learned quite a few other versions of rope tricks I always seem to come back to the Sands routine. BTW, you mentioned in another post that you occasionally used Harold Taylor's ending of cutting a ring off the rope and then restoring the rope. I have his lecture notes, "The Angle of a Pro" in which he describes it, but I have never been quite sure of the handling. I am guessing that you continue to hold the ring and the rope in one hand through out the threading and subsequent cutting. That is, you never let the ring hang free between the two ends of the rope. Do I have that right?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My memory sucks. Somewhere (?) I have Carlysle's routine. I recall it was the first of its type. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Pete,

Am I right that Karl Fulves published a version?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't know.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Yes, you are correct.
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
AHHH! Ralphgironda!!! Thank you for the response.
Is it still available?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Barry!

Sorry for delay in replying. I've been extra busy. As soon as I return from Fab Magic's "Magic Week",I'll get back to you on the Taylor C&R rope. (I'm booked for a stand up,a lecture, and also to help judge the contest. --Rick is making meL EARN my fee! (I haven't done a show since last October! --So, I gotta rehearse!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Dick,
Thank you and good luck on the show/lecture.
Regards,
Barry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Lyle Laughlin's 3 to 1 rope trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL