The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How to go about this. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
I have not done magic for anyone other than friends and family. I would however like to try and do some magic for peple in the hospital. How does one go about arranging such a thing. I would like to do this as a more one on one thing. I do have on crappy video on youtube, if you pm I will give up the link.
My youtube channel check it out its magic.
im not great but getting better.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvQIycva0rFOIdArln7lEg
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I'd call the hospitals and see if they have an Entertainment Coordinator.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
My local hospital has a volunteer program. Often they will not let you roam the halls or go into rooms until you've been trained in infection control, privacy requirements, hospital protocols, and so forth. If you go in like a magician wanting to do tricks, it's all about you and they don't care too much. Unless you are very professional and can perform for their various staff functions. But if you approach them as a volunteer wanting to serve the hospital, the community, and the patients, you are most welcome!

Ed
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Ed's right. It took me 5 months to take all the classes and get approved to do magic at a local children's hospital here in Tucson. And it was all worth it.

If you're willing to invest the time to get your shot records updated, take whatever classes they require and present yourself as a professional who is there to entertain the patients you should have no problem.

Like Ed said, try to contact whoever is in charge of your hospital's volunteer program, tell them who you are and they will tell you the requirements. My hospital was used to people volunteering in a capacity other than magician- people to push wheelchairs, for instance, so be prepared for them to possibly be surprised that you want to do this. They will probably also be delighted and more than willing to work with you to get you in there entertaining people. One nice thing about the children's hospital is you also get to entertain parents who are worried about their children. You get to provide some momentary distraction and relief for them as well.

And no sponge balls. They can transmit cooties.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Nothing in their hands that can't be wiped down. Instead of covering something with a silk, use a disposable paper towel.
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
Thank you for the wonderful suggestions and information!
My youtube channel check it out its magic.
im not great but getting better.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvQIycva0rFOIdArln7lEg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How to go about this. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL