The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Mentalist from UAE (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
Hey guys, I had been meaning to get a Café account but never got the opportunity till I got a hosting service and hence a personal mailing domain.

A few words about the magic scene in the UAE:
The term magic: While in the west it is pretty obvious that someone claiming to do magic is in fact speaking of tricks, here we have to explicitly mention that we are doing tricks, we may call them effects, stunts, magic tricks but not "Magic" as it would imply "Black magic", "Sorcery" and so on which is illegal in the country.

The spectators: Not many people are familiar with the workings of magic tricks and hence one can easily blow minds with classic close-up effects. You do not need to have magician foolers up your sleeves. the positive side of that is you are not tempted to learn every new thing that comes out, and get the time to practice what you have learned already, for months and years. The negative is if you are too comfy, you can end up letting your material stagnate. To avoid that, I usually give a completely different presentation to every single trick I learn alongside creating completely original material for my performances.

The image of magic: I started a magic and mentalism club at "Middlesex University in Dubai" to raise awareness regarding magic tricks and mentalism. We did shows for nurseries, people with special needs and fundraisers and people are getting interested.

I would love to learn from the community and contribute wherever possible and I am glad to be a part of the Magic Café.

Regards,
Ibi.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome IbiMania,

It is interesting to hear about the way the word Magic is taken differently there.

There are some specific shows in the U.S. where this can also be an issue but not in general.

I hope you are safe when performing.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Mentalist from UAE (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL