The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » DVD for strolling/walkaround magicians (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!

I have my first paid walkaround/strolling gig in about a month. 35 people.
I've read The Approach, know about the 3x3 and I have quite a few routines under my belt (mainly cards..) but I would REALLY like to see instructional videoes on the art of walkaround/strolling magic.

Are there any?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You are about to experience the best dvd possible. The real world. Don't think too much. You will be fine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hey Danny, thank you so much. I do not think you understand how well that tip actually fits me.
I will take it to heart.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Some of the best stuff about table-hopping is in books. The DVDs tend to be dedicated to the effects.
kumpletoo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of kumpletoo
Highly recommend Martin Sanderson Corporate Close Up DVD.
kumpletoo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of kumpletoo
DannyDoyle is right... Just have fun... I think you already have what it takes...

It's ok if most of your routines are cards. The most important thing is that you are entertaining and your spectators are having a good time.

The tricks don't have to be knuckle busting... Most of the stuff that I perform on paid gigs require simple sleights. You would be surprised how much reaction you'll get with simple DLs.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Most of the rsvpmagic ones are good for showing someone working in typical strolling party situations. DVDs like Lee Smiths the Step Project, John Carey - Handle with Carey, Greg Wilson - In Action, Harry Robson - Magic Under Fire and also Martin Sandersons first Corporate DVD are great.

Whilst it's good you have your 3x3, I'd advise mastering 5 perfectly (which means patter/one liners etc), TBH it's rare you'll be performing all 9 effects at your gig. Most of the time when I'm performing I do the same 4-6 or so tricks all evening. Afterall, you need to get around everyone so you can only show about 5-10 minutes of magic to each group, show them the best stuff you can do.

My current default set is
-One Coin Flurry > Jumbo 3" coin > Jumbo 5" coin as my opener (largely based on davids roth routine but shortened)
-Invisible Deck (either using a mind reading patter or the classic 'shuffle this invisible deck' patter)
-Sponge Bunnies
-2 Cards selected, one found via the twirl change, the other changes in their hand whilst they hold onto the previous selection (using a DL)
-Ambitious Card to Wallet to Omni Deck finish

Lasts about 7 minutes, involves most of the group and contains magic for everyone (coin/cards and bunnies for the women)
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
35 people?
How long is your gig?
These two things will factor in how much material you need.
Check the layout of the place as well. If it is 3 tables of 10, and one of 5, you may need more material than if they are in tables of 4.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mathmagic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mathmagic
Hi Montana, how much time is your gig?
You will have to do the effects very pacient Smile
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thanks for all the advice given!! 35 people and I suggested two hours but I said that I would adapt to the sotuation if that would be too long.

What do you guys think?
DarrenDelaney
View Profile
New user
London
19 Posts

Profile of DarrenDelaney
Anything by David Williamson. Greg Wilson as mentioned above. Worth looking at Michael Eaton's Penguin Live lecture - full of workable walk-around material. Michael close's Workers.
Darren Delaney
Extraordinary Entertainment

https://darrendelaney.co.uk
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2014, Montana76 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice given!! 35 people and I suggested two hours but I said that I would adapt to the sotuation if that would be too long.

What do you guys think?

I like to say 40 per hour. Also most of the time there's never as many people as they say, I had a birthday party gig last week and was told there would be 70 people (and was booked for 2 hours) when I turned up it was raining so there were only at most around 35-40 people there the entire time.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Dan Harlan rubber band magic is good.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Live at the jailhouse by Kozmo
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
294 Posts

Profile of mixman
I like Paul Green's "In the Trenches".
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2014, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:
Live at the jailhouse by Kozmo

I just finished watching this for the 1st time the other night, it was really good.

Also David Stones "Close up" book has a lot of great info for walk around, its a pretty quick read so no worries.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I recommend Greg Wilson's Off the Cuff DVD. Also check out his On The Spot DVD. Both are good for walk-around effects.
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Party animal DVD by Mathew Dowden. All workers and lots of live footage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » DVD for strolling/walkaround magicians (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL