The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » On the Spot DVD, good for beginners? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Hi fellows, I'm looking at Gregory Wilson's On the Spot DVD, but reading the reviews, I wonder how will it be for a beginner in magic. What are your experiences with it?I'm looking for bar/restaurant magic I can do with little or no preparation in order to complement the tricks I already do (some TT tricks, some IT routines, and some card tricks). Any help will be appreciated!
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
This material is perfect for your environment, jmsilhy. Throughout the video, you see Gregory performing these routines in bars, restaurants, and on the streets. Some of the material will require a little practice, but it is well worth it (then again, doesn't all good magic require practice?). I love the material on these tapes (or the new dvd- same material). I think you will be very pleased if you decide to buy the DVD.
trickiewillie
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
128 Posts

Profile of trickiewillie
The material on this DVD is not beginner material. Almost everything is for the "intermediate" performer. Virtually all of the effects require some sleight of hand. Although not "knuckle busters," they will require more than a "little practice." If you are good and feel comfortable with TT and IT work, and if you are doing some card sleights, this might be useful. But the fact that you call yourself a beginner, and ask the question, I would be concerned that this might be just a little too advanced.

The material is very good for bar/restuarant work and is mostly impromptu.
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
I get you. I'm starting out with TT tricks, and with books like Royal Road and Modern Coin Magic. Also the IT work because I loved the floating bill routine they did to me in a Las Vegas shop, so I had to buy that. And I am waiting on Wilson's Complete Course in Magic... I know practice makes perfect, and believe me, I'm willing to practice a lot before I perform any tricks. So I think I'll wait a bit for this video. Thanks for the comments and see you around!
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I agree; not for beginners. But I think for different reasons. Greg's style is very physical and he touches his spectators a lot (he talks about "invasive" magic himself if I remember well). This needs to be done by someone who is in complete charge of the situation and has "earned" the trust of them.
Though I like the video a lot and I think Greg is a very cool guy this is not everybody's cup of tea. When used by the wrong (inexperienced) performer it could harm the reputation of magic.
Well...isn't that with all magic videos (sigh!).
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I have to disagree; while I think this material is very advanced, I have recently come the conclusion that you should learn whatever you can no matter how advanced right off the bat.

Waiting to learn something serves no cause. I think you will benefit more from learning it early on, then you have the time you need to polish the routines so you can get to performing them sooner.

The only way you are going to move from being a beginner to being more advanced is to work on harder stuff and keep practicing, and then going out and performing the material.

I am not saying you should neglect basic sleights and magic theory, but at the same time don't limit yourself in what you learn. If it comes down to basics vs. advanced material, go for the basic stuff first, but if you have the time and patience, learn all you can!!!
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Almost all of it is aimed at someone who is in the intermediate range. However I still recommend you get it as it will show you what you will be up against in guerilla magic and the fun you will have in the future, as you get better.

There is one piece on the tape that is a ring routine, that IMHO any beginner could do, especially were he makes a borrowed ring jump from one finger to the next (oldie but a goody).

I still do this one on a regular basis and it works like a charm. After all these years the reactions are the same Smile
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » On the Spot DVD, good for beginners? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL