The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Lota soda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
I've been attempting to develop a soda can or bottle that would have an "infinite liquid" effect ala lota bowl. I'd like there to be enough of this liquid to serve soda to everyone in a small audience by the end of the act. I've considered the possibility of utilizing black art, but I wondered if anybody had an idea that would result in a more self-contained prop, possibly involving the table in some way. Any ideas?
Keep in mind that it has to be something I could wash thoroughly or make easily and cheaply enough to simply use a new sterile gimmick for every performance.

I'd appreciate any input. I'm still fairly new at building magic props.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
How about using an expanded shell? One that you can put over a real soda can and work it that way.
Sent from my Typewriter
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
Hmmmm. That's got definite possibilities. Thanks, you've sent my thinking in an entirely different direction.
Jerry the Great
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Jerry the Great
I use a great trick in my act called Healed and Sealed Soda by Anders moden. What about starting the act with what appears to be a crushed, empty soda can. You then "heal" the can (it expands back to shape) and then magically re-seal the top so that you can pop the top and pour the contents into cups for the audience. Then you might set it aside for a bit while you perform some other miracle. When you come back, it's filled again. this could be done by possibly running a small tube (from the table) up the back of the can so that it fills slowly.

Or maybe you discard the can and throughout the act, when least expected, another full can appears from thin air. These cans could be produced by a variety of methods so that no one catches on. The effect would be suprising and it would also serve the purpose of a running gag.

Just an idea or two. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Jerry Jackson
"What's wrong with you people? Haven't you ever seen a fool before?"

Jerry the Great
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic Mfg. Co. in Colon, Mich. use to sell a trick that poured coke from an empty bottle. You might call them and see if they still have it.

Mak Magic use to sell an empty drumhead tube that did the same thing. Owen's magic as I remember had such an item. Sorry, I do not know of any plans available, so you can make it.

These used a small keg type valve that fit in the bottle and kegs. Unless you are a tool & dye maker I thing you are seeking the wrong trick.

Bill Smile
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Quote:
On 2004-01-20 01:51, JJDrew wrote:
I've been attempting to develop a soda can or bottle that would have an "infinite liquid" effect ala lota bowl... I'd like there to be enough of this liquid to serve soda to everyone in a small audience by the end of the act.

Think about how a Lota Bowl woks and you can come up with a solution.

I have a lota pitcher and you can apply the same gaff to a soda bottle, so here is what I would do:
Get a rigid plastic tube that will fit inside the opening of the soda bottle from the top to the bottom of the bottle.

At the bottom end of the tube, cut a small semi-circular hole with the long end of the semi-circle the missing part at the bottom, a regualr hole might work. This will be he way the tube (load chanmer) will fill. The bigger the hole, the faster the bottle will fill.

In the shoulder of the bottle drill a tiny hole. This will allow the laod chamber to fill. Put the hole where it will be most comfortable for you to hold and cover.

Put the tube inside the bottle and you have a lota soda bottle. You might have to seal the ends of the tube to stop leaks, this you will have to experiment with after building it.

I assume that you want to have audience members drink from the bottle's conyents, so you woudl need to use a non=toxic sealer or glue (with non-toxic glue) the tube in place.

If you can get the sealer, or the tube to seal without leaking, you can use the tube over again by putting it into another bottle.

There would be a number of ways to clean and sterilize the bottle between uses: water mixed with Clorox, but probably the easiest would be the type of soap that bars use to wash their glasses, since most times the used glasses are washed by hand at the bar.

I am going to apply this principle to period jugs for ren faire performers.
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
Thanks for the help Great Scot, I was thinking of a small can, but if I use a 2 liter bottle I could produce more than enough soda for my purposes. I was concerned about the fact that most soda bottles are made of clear plastic, but then I realized (DUH) that I could make a label saying "Magic soda" or something like that (obviously something more creative, but you get the idea). In fact, I would probably have to so that I wouldn't be inadvertently advertising for some company or other.
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
What to use for the "rigid plastic tube" mentioned? I like the 2 liter idea... looks less "gimmicky"
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
MarkRobertson
View Profile
New user
Lincoln, NE
51 Posts

Profile of MarkRobertson
If you are not going to actually hand out the glasses... don't forget that you could use glasses to appear to hold much more than they do, so the liquid goes farther.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Lota soda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL