The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Jack Miller Holdout (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

casibb3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of casibb3
I remember sometime ion the long past, seeing one of the original Jack Miller Holdouts. I also saw a picture of same but can't pinpoint the source. Are there any pics in a book that someone can recall? My recollection of it is that it was about 12" long, very heavy and the ball, card, coin clips all in one unit. Sometime later I recall a marketed version using cord, spring clothes pin, two round office clips, all held together with electrician's tape. As basic as it was, it WORKED beautifully.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Are you sure the original holdout wasn't made by the Steen Manufacturing Company in New York in 1920?
It also had a cigarette & cigar clip in the center that looked like two tiny sugar scoops.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
In the book by Ed Mishell: "Jack Miller Holdout Miracles" it shows about 4 or 5 different holdouts.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Important is the question, where to use it for.
You can look also at the site of John Rogers Wooden Cigar Shop
and click: holdout. Here you will find a Jack Miller-type of holdout.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Miller's original hold out was a heavy and cylindrical with a single alligator clip on the end. The ball and coin attachments were just that- attachments held by the alligator clip. They were not incorporated into the holdout.

Jack made it himself; the manufactured holdouts came later. Despite those, he continued to use his original throughout his career.

The aforementioned book is an excellent starting place for information.

I would also recommend the video "Jack Miller's Hold-Out Miracles w/ Alan Greenberg" by Meir Yedid Magic, as well as the 3 DVD set for Vernet's "The Invisible Hand" which is, essentially, Miller's hold-out, virtually unchanged.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Ekuth wrote:
Miller's original hold out was a heavy and cylindrical with a single alligator clip on the end. The ball and coin attachments were just that- attachments held by the alligator clip. They were not incorporated into the holdout.

That's exactly right. I've got the original holdout with all the attachments and instructions. What's the etiquette on posting a photo?
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2015, FiveTheMagician wrote:
[
. I've got the original holdout with all the attachments and instructions. What's the etiquette on posting a photo?

Sounds like exposure.
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
Makes sense. Cheers
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
All you have to do is reference a post in the secret section. Only those with 50 posts will get in to see it. If don't know where, just scroll to the bottom of the main page.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Jack Miller Holdout (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL