The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » PET "PEEVE" (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, george1953 wrote:
...mum comes to the stage and complains that I upset her kid.

Awww, poor BABY! Mommy's widdle snookums gonna cwy? Eff 'em.

Quote:
...he is merely curious, and she would report me to the manager.

Ohhh ree-hee-hee-EEELY? That's where she would get the wrath. Hmmm, might not be a good thing for me. Could be a BAD one!

Quote:
Anyway, when I had loaded my gear in the car and was about to leave she gives me the finger and the people at her table all did the same.

And I would reciprocate.

Quote:
Her handBag was hanging over the back of the chair and I couldn't help myself, I started looking in her bag, she screams, "What the hell do think you're doing??" I replied, "Nothing, I am curious too..."

Haaa hahahaha! ROFLMFAO! Ya done GOOD, George! Bravo!

Quote:
She demanded to see the manager and complained. He never said a word, he just pointed at the signs saying no kids on the stage, and walked away.

Happy ending! That b***h got what she deserved!

Quote:
I have been working this venue for 26 years and it gets worse every year. Thank god I retire in a few years.

Thank GOD I don't perform any more except small gatherings.

Doug
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Doug, can'twait till I retire. Then I can work only the venues of my choosing. The all inclusive trend is destroying the island, just a glorified drinking holiday, nobody is the least bit interested in whatever is provided. Its not unusual to be on stage and in front of it is a long line of people with empty glasses waiting to be refilled. Some of these venues I have been working for 25 years or more and the only reason I haven't dropped them is because the management have asked not too because everyone is refusing to work there. One group of Flamenco dancers is a family concern and have been working there for longer than me but they refuse to go back.
They told me that on the last night they worked there some kids were throwing handfuls of tic tags onto the dance floor, the dancers just walked off and have never gone back.
Oh well , it will soon be over.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow. That is sad George. Our society in the free world is sinking fast. When I see that people would rather DRINK than be entertained, well...eff 'em. Let 'em drink themselves into a ****ing STUPOR. I have NO time for that crap...

Doug
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Most of the hoteliers here don'twant the all inclusive, they recently called a meeting about it. But it seems they are being held to ransom by the tour operators.
Last week there was a demonstration outside the town hall, all out of work entertainers asking how they are supposed to live.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
To return to the original topic for a moment: many of the folks posting on this thread have helped me in the past, both via regular posts and PMs, including MANY wonderful pieces of advice and personal assistance from the OP, Dick Oslund. There have been many others as well in other forums (I know, Dick; I am Anglicizing the Latin here), too many to list individually. I have tried, in every case, to say thank you, but just in case I missed anyone:

THANKS!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I feel the same as Dick about these seemingly desperate folks asking for help.

You try and help and keep checking to see if it did help and are left with the impression that you just wasted your time in answering.

But there are times when I'm afraid I've done the same thing because…
Someone will resurrect an old thread that I'm not checking anymore but the new arrivals to the resurrected thread don't know it is old.

Also I've been known to slip a cog (thats a scientific term) and forget a post I've written for a couple of days.

So while I AM annoyed by this situation, I am forced to be..ugh..understanding despite my real feelings.

-Mary Mowder
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Dick, I agree with you -- irritating to say the least. The common courtesy of a reply is expected. I appreciate all of the advice and guidance that you and many others provide...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I was starting out. (egad, that's ancient history!) a number of old pro's. "duked me in". Their mentoring made my "life" in the business, possible.

There is currently, an expression "going around": "PAY IT FORWARD"! I'm trying to do that.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dick, I have to say you do.

I'm using a move you showed me every night I practice my Ring and Ribbon routine and I do the Mosquito Rope move every time I do my flying knots routine.

Thank you.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YOu're more than welcome, Mary!

I'm guessing that ring & ribbon move is the Walt Robbins thing where one ring does the work that releases the other ring. If so, I got it from Denny Loomis in 1964!

I'm so happy to know that you are USING the Mosquito. I've shared it with only a few. So many don't want to put in the work necessary. I certainly didn't "invent" it, but I sure have used it for over 60 years!

Best wishes!!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
NO ONE has taught me more about performing Magic, and, in particular, MAKING MONEY PERFORMING MAGIC, than Dick Oslund has.....and the key part of this is......I have LISTENED to what Dick has said!

This past weekend, I was asked to judge the Close-Up Competition at the 76th Annual Houdini Club of Wisconsin Convention. There were 3 participants.....and only One of those asked me the Magic Question following the competition: What can I do to get better?

Amen to that question! In my experience.....Seeking advice from an experienced and qualified mentor....and heeding that advice.... is THE ONLY way to get better as a performing Magician.

By the way, the young man who asked me that question.......was the winner of the competition.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Dick Oslund is a gentle and gracious guy in helping out. I can't wait when his book is ready. thank you Dick.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Dick is also a very generous person. A while ago I posted a comment about a problem I had because of my large hands. Dick contacted me and offered a solution. A few days later I received something in the mail that solved my problem.
Considering I am in Spain and he wouldn't even let me pay the shipping I think shows what a real gentleman he is.
If only more folks were like that.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad! Thank you gentlemen for the "standing ovation"! I am humbled by your most sincere expressions.

My mentors, when I was a young lad, had a philosophy: "You must be a conduit! You must pass this knowledge along. If you try to keep it for yourself, it will be like trying to grab a handful of a cloud.

Rainbowguy...I've always tried to keep in mind what a wise old timer pointed out. "When you stop getting better, you start getting worse. --YOU CAN ONLY COAST IN ONE DIRECTION! That young man, the winner, must have heard that old man!

George! Bob! --and all you others who have PM'd, emailed. expressed thanks on this thread, or called to say "thanks": you have made me realize how great this brotherhood is.

I sincerely thank YOU!

Dick
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Nothing more than you deserve Dick!!!
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

I'm guessing that ring & ribbon move is the Walt Robbins thing where one ring does the work that releases the other ring. If so, I got it from Denny Loomis in 1964!

Best wishes!!

Hi Dick! Rick from Buffalo. I remember that trick. I used to do it. It was called Ringo! and the guy's name was Walt Rollins. I think 1964 is when I started hanging out with Denny too but it might have been a little later.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » PET "PEEVE" (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL