The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2014 entrée: Jason Palter » » Board Out of My Mind » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Hi Jason -

I purchased your ingenious Board Out Of My Mind effect a few years ago from Peter Loughran.

My wife always loved this illusion, which she termed a "happy" illusion, in that it didn't involve anyone getting sliced, burned or impaled. I've had a lot of fun with it over the last few years, and love its "low tech" modus operandi, which pretty much guarantees that it will always work in any performing situation.

My question is, do you still perform this effect, and if so, have you come up with any recent ideas for either the routine or the "reveal" that you would care to share?

Thanks,
- Scott
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hi Scott:

Thank for your thoughts on this. Yes my good friend Peter Loughran from Master of Illusions makes Board Out Of My Mind for me and it is a fun trick to do!

I love the comments that your wife made; it is a happy illusion! LOL!

I do still perform the effect, but I haven't in a while. The last one that I had in stock I ended up selling, and I haven't had another one made for myself since. Truthfully, I haven't had any other ideas come to me for it. There are just a ton of different things that you can have revealed, including the latest someone suggested to me which is the serial number on a bill!

Do any members here on the Café perform the trick, and do you have any ideas you would like to share?

Best regards,

Jason
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Jason -

I use the board manually, without the effect, to spell out either the results of a confabulation routine or the states that are hit in Jason Pollock's State of Mind. This shows that the board is normal and has a legitimate, non-magical purpose. Afterwards, I clear the board.

At the end of the show, I use the board to "magically" write either "Happy Birthday, Jason" (assuming that it's a birthday party, and the child's name is Jason) or "That's All Folks!." So I don't use the magic as a reveal, but rather as a fun kicker at the end of the show.

- Scott
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
MaxfieldsMagic:

Great idea! I'd love to see that in person.....do you have a video of you performing it?

Best regards,

Jason
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

No, I don't, and probably won't be able to make one before your week here is up and the section is locked. But if you ever check your PMs, I'll send you a link in the near future.

I was amazed, when I bought this thing, at how much engineering and craftsmanship is built into the board. It almost makes you want to turn it around and show it off. My guess is that most folks just assume it's electronics, but you can perform this outdoors by a brook in the middle of the Appalachians with zero power source and it'll amaze every time.

Is there a reason you decided to go the "low tech" route, rather than using electronics? Especially when the "low tech" route requires so much skill and precision by the builder? It's one of those ideas that many would probably have dismissed as impractical, but you and Peter made it happen.
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hi MaxfieldsMagic:

You are correct, the engineering on my "Board Out of My Mind" is just incredible, and I give a big kudos to Peter Loughran for designing that aspect of it!! When he first showed it to me, my jaw dropped; I couldn't believe what he had done! I TOTALLY agree with you and just love to show people the "behind the scenes" work on it, so they can appreciate it! lol

We wanted to go with a "low tech" route and not deal with electronics because 1. It would make the construction less expensive and would keep the price of the trick lower; and 2. There is less likely that something can go wrong. Plus the power that a motor would need to do the things to make those letters move that way would not have been practical.

Yes please send me the video in a PM or just email me the link to jason@paltergeist.com

I'm glad that you're enjoying it so much!

Best regards,

Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2014 entrée: Jason Palter » » Board Out of My Mind » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL