The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Performing For Kids (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brandontoh
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of brandontoh
I'm thinking of volunteering to perform magic for kids, but because so far my routines are planned and designed with teenagers and adults in mind, I'm not sure where to begin, and would like to seek some friendly advice. What are some effects that are popular with kids, or are there DVDs that focuses on magic for kids?
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Scroll on down to The Little Darlings. That forum is dedicated to performing for kids.

Ed
Thunder Island
View Profile
New user
England
24 Posts

Profile of Thunder Island
I suggest getting 'Mark Wilson Complete course of magic' it has tricks for all type of magic
I highly recommend it
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I suggest you look into David Kelly's Silly Billy work. He has an excellent DVD called "Seriously Silly". IMO, David is the ultimate authority on performing for children.

KJ
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Any search on Silly Billy should turn him up - but his name is David Kaye.

And his "Seriously Silly" DVD is wonderful! I really need to get his book soon....
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2015, Tukaram wrote:
Any search on Silly Billy should turn him up - but his name is David Kaye.

And his "Seriously Silly" DVD is wonderful! I really need to get his book soon....

Thanks for the correction, yes, David KAYE.

KJ
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I am not overly excited about David Kaye's "approach" to performing for youngsters. --I was on the matinee with him at Abbott's about 12 years ago. He is too "rough" in his handling of kids. Maybe "that" plays in New York city, but, I seriously doubt that it would "play in Peoria".

I use basically the same props for Kindergarteners that I use for Senior High School kids. I simply adapt the PRESENTATION for the ages I'm working for.

Over 70 years, I have worked for every possible "combination" of ages in front of me. (Kindergartens, K-2,K-3, K-4, K-6, and, in small midwest towns, in Kindergarten through 12th grade! That's a bit of a stretch, but, in those rural schools, the older kids will enjoy the little kid's fun, too. (Just don't do "kiddie stuff"

My school program runs 45 minutes. The "rule" is KIS MIF. (Keep IT Simple Make It Fun!)

Hert sre my CRITERIA: Use tricks that are are VISUAL. (The EFFECT is what the spectator sees--or thinks he sees.) Do tricks in which the EFFECT IS VISUAL. I don't do anything that"happens" under cover.

The props should be easily VISIBLE. (I wear a black shirt, so that white rope is easy to see!

I use nothing that isn't ANGLE PROOF!

I use RECOGNIZABLE PROPS. (No "Victorian Era" change bags, dove pans, foo cans, etc.)

Props should need LITTLE OR NO SET UP.

Props "work" in my hands. (Nothing need to be set on a table) --Sight lines! If they're seated on chairs, and I'm on the same level as the audience (no stage or platform) the kids can't see a table top!

Props pack small,and light, but,play BIG.

The tricks should be VERSATILE. (Can be opener, middle, or closers.)

Props should be WINDPROOF. (Outdoor shows--picnics )

My show carries in a "suitcase" about 13" x 20" x 8". It weights about 20 lbs. Max. set up time is 4 minutes, and pack up is 2 minutes. I set the case on a waiter's "cross legs tray stand", open the case and perform. The case is "lined" with small open top cardboard boxes. (cartons from butter boxes, toothpaste boxes,ETC. I don't "ditch" props in ditch bags or boxes. Props come out, work, and go back into their box. On a tour of schools, I often had 3 shows per day, as much as 50 miles apart.

For different ages, the PRESENTATION is varied to fit. For example, I don't use teen age vocabulary for primary school ages.

Props include silks, rope, golf balls, egg bag, 3 linking rings, cards (fancy shuffles) coins (Misers Dream) Trouble Wit, etc. Tricks like color change silk, golf ball "manipulaation", rope knots, Prof. Nightmare, "Slydini Silks" egg bag, big needle and balloon, 20th Century silks, comedy wand and fan routine, Misers Dream, etc.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on props. "The best magic shop is a thrift store!"

For elemntary ages, Bert Easley's "Doing Magic For Youngsters" is a great book to give you presentation ideas. Frances Ireland's "Kid Stuff" books, will give you ideas on presentation.

The performer and his presentation, is more important than the peops.

"It aint WHAT YOU DO, its HOW YOU DO IT!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
AND Dick Oslund!

Dick, You need to get your book out! I sometimes forget what an authority you are on this subject.

KJ
dleiber
View Profile
New user
Temecula, CA, USA
29 Posts

Profile of dleiber
I have found that kids enjoy my performances most when there is lots of color, humor, and participation. As Mr. Oslund wrote, great visual effects work very well. Some of my favorites are the Magic Coloring Book, 20th Century Silks, Silk Serenade (though kids these days might not know what a 45 record is, not that that matters necessarily), Needle through Balloon, Professor's Nightmare, Cut and Restored Rope, Hypnotized Rope, and Spot.
MagicalArmadillo1313
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MagicalArmadillo1313
I find that magic for kids works the best when there is a big effect, a big finish to the trick, but each of the tricks are quick and short. And as Dick Oslund said, the tricks should be very visual. One of my favorite tricks for kids is the Flower Box Production Dream Bag, because that trick is very visual, and gets very good reactions.
dleiber
View Profile
New user
Temecula, CA, USA
29 Posts

Profile of dleiber
MagicalArmadillo1313, what brand/manufacturer of the Flower Box Production Dream Bag do you find the most impressive, durable, etc.? Thanks.
jclightman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of jclightman
David Kaye is very good. Also, you might want to check out Danny Orleans's "The Art of Presenting Magic to Children" dvd. He is solid in understanding how to work with kids.
Amro
View Profile
New user
Room 217
51 Posts

Profile of Amro
Generally quick visual effects work best. When I started out I once showed a cardtrick to two kids that were two years apart the older one beeing totally amazed and the other one not understanding it at all.
hestonsmagic
View Profile
New user
McMinnville, OR
92 Posts

Profile of hestonsmagic
I feel the best kid trick (for me to perform) has been Creative Magics Bigger Wands... The kids just seem to go nuts and it is a long routine to take up time. But they love it... It is a great add on to a simple trick....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Performing For Kids (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL