The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Rules. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Got shut down for use of an amp by Bath City Council. New ruling due to too much noise outside the Abbey area.

The NT have ruined the busk at the Henge by closing the parking area and seated sections by the now closed link road so this is now a no go completely.

Just bought property in Avebury again NT controlled but this amazing place is still up for grabs as they can't seal sections off, this means its also a freebie to visit up against the Henge at £15 a ticket !!

We are being squeezed too much by the NT as they don't like buskers on their pitches,, still as I have purchased a piece of it they can't stop me hahaha ,,,,,,, so as I now reside on a World Heritage site does that make me a National Monument ????

Ken.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Kondini, would you explain for a person - me - in a different culture, what NT is an abbreviation for, thanks.
The presentation makes the magic.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
National Trust, the trusties of all uk heritage sites.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Their is one pitch by the Abbey thar street performers share, I know Gazzo, Billy and Dominic work that regulary Did they get shut down as well or was it just you for using an amp? It has been at least 8yrs since I worked Bath, never use to use an amp back then times change. Are they shuting down Buskers in Bath altogether now I was thinking of visiting in November.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Just the use of amps. This was bought to the fore after rehearsals in the Abbey were halted due to the amp noises outside. I have worked Bath all over with my main pitch by the underground car park and never had trouble before. It appears that unknowns were the instigators and caused the problem, and there has always been open doors to all busker wise, hence the numbers who turn up now. I have cut Bath down and use Avebury now as a regular.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
This has attracted a lot of attention in the UK press.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/se......sker-row

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-29315263

http://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/20......at-abbey (interesting cartoon)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ers.html

I'm 200 miles away, but heard about a guitarist being so loud that the noise stopped the Evensong Service. Stories like this make it harder for buskers in other areas.

It now seems to have been resolved http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Meeting-B......ory.html
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
There is definitely an art to using an amp so that one doesn't offend. Most learn that the bigger, louder the amp, the more money they make and for a short-sighted outlook, that's fine. When pitches are burned out, they've moved onto greener pastures.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
It has always been the musicians not the magicians who have caused problems here. I have worked the City centre on and off for over 40 years and never had a sound problem. There are a hard core of opposition factors (Some shop owners and private individuals) Who have their own itinery and are a constant pain, but you get to know who where and when to avoid.

Once more the instigators on this occasion were from out of the area and busked with the loudest is best formula. They were soon put in place by a couple of the regular guys but it was too late.

This has happened before and will no doubt happen again , so I think time will restore all back to normal.

Ken.
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
You may be interested to know that there will be a showdown between a busker and the rector of Bath Abbey:

http://www.battleofideas.org.uk/2014/session_detail/9007

Speakers:
David Dixon, deputy leader and cabinet member for neighbourhoods, Bath and North East Somerset Council
Edward Mason, rector, Bath Abbey
Dr Munira Mirza, deputy mayor, education and culture, Greater London Authority; author, The Politics of Culture: the case for universalism
Gabriella Swallow, cellist, broadcaster and arts commentator
Jonny Walker, founding director, The Keep Streets Live Campaign; professional musician and street performer
Nick Broad
<BR>Skype: omnigut
<BR>facebook.com/thebuskingproject
<BR>www.thebuskingproject.com
<BR>Email: nick@thebuskingproject.com
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, Nick Broad wrote:
You may be interested to know that there will be a showdown between a busker and the rector of Bath Abbey:

http://www.battleofideas.org.uk/2014/session_detail/9007

Speakers:
David Dixon, deputy leader and cabinet member for neighbourhoods, Bath and North East Somerset Council
Edward Mason, rector, Bath Abbey
Dr Munira Mirza, deputy mayor, education and culture, Greater London Authority; author, The Politics of Culture: the case for universalism
Gabriella Swallow, cellist, broadcaster and arts commentator
Jonny Walker, founding director, The Keep Streets Live Campaign; professional musician and street performer

Not exactly a show-down

It's a chaired discussion between the Rector of Bath Abbey and a totally different musician in a venue miles away
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Been there with this before. Its all a no contest with the Council being the dictator and the public the losers.

Time will put this right as Bath like Stratford is a busker friendly City and as with all Cities they have their tourist attractions of which buskers are one.
The ruin is outsiders who come now and then thinking they will quick score and move on, they don't, as one has to build up a following in order to make a living here.

Not a place for the novice and such spoil it for the regulars.
Rather than stay and moan about it I have moved on in order to survive, but will return when the fuss has vanished.
Ken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Rules. (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL