The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Light Switch Puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Forgive me if this has been posted and if you know the answer please let fellow members have a chance.

You have two rooms, in one room (A) there are three light switches in the other room (B) there is a single light bulb. ONLY one switch is connected to the bulb, the other two go no where.

You can position the switches in any order you want all on, all off, some on, some off etc. You THEN can enter room B where the light is to see the bulb. The challenge is tell me which switch operates the bulb? You have to do so with 100% accuracy. It is a foolproof solution.

Remember, only enter the room once. No tools are required, etc. You can not see one room while in the other. I think I have given all the criteria. Have fun.

Scott
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Sorry Scott, we've already done this one in this section. It's a great puzzle though. Check the archives of "Puzzle me this".

There have also been a few other light bulb puzzles that have come about after this one including a crazy one by Nir Dahan about 100 convicted men, a lightbulb and an empty room.

Here's a similair one that I don't think has been done (in here) yet:

Nine wires go from upstairs to downstairs. At both ends all nine wires come through a hole in the wall. All the wires look the same. An electrician is downstairs with a device for testing connections. How many trips up and down the stairs does he have to make before he knows where all nine wires start and end?
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Electricians actually leave an electric drill on and plugged in so that they don't have to run up and down; they can hear when it's on.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Interesting fact, Opus. The guy in the puzzle left his drill at home and the wires aren't connected to any mains supply anyhow...
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Well, he is obviously dealing with a non-union job, and now it is really gonna cost to correct it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Light Switch Puzzle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL