The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » DVD Card magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lux__
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Lux__
Hey guys, Wondering what are some good starting out DVD's for card magic and or slight or hand magic. I'm going to buy a book or two but reading isn't my thing and I like seeing the trick be proformed.

Cheers
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You might want to try my four "Best Ever" DVD set. All impromptu card magic. But seems as if you should know about that if you're at all into impromptu card magic. Go to harryloraynemagic.com to learn more. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And if you want to see some of the items you can learn performed go to www.youtube.com/harrylorayneon video . Or don't.

Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Many people like Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles. I have volume 2 of the set and he does some amazing tricks and breaks the methods down really well. I use only one of those tricks at the moment, but everything on the DVD is good.

I have only seen one Harry Lorayne performance video - the one with the magic square presented at one of his memory classes. Great performance. I think performances like that one are vital just so you see how he interacts with the audience. And that is applicable to any kind of magic.

-Patrick
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Harry's Best Ever Dvds are about 4 hours long with tons of extras in the explanations. Go through anyone of those dvds and you are golden with a deck of cards. If you think he is good at writing then you will be blown away with his ability to teach on video.
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
Roberto Giobbi's Card College is an outstanding introduction to card magic. Royal Road to Card Magic, R. Paul Wilson's presentation of The Royal Road to Card Magic, by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue, one of the best historical introductions to card magic, is also outstanding. Also, Daryl Easton's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights is outstanding. Together, these works present a fantastic introduction to both beginner and intermediate material.

Andrew
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
There's loads of options, many mentioned above. All will have their advantages and disadvantages.

I haven't watched many, and I'm not very experienced. I can only offer my personal opinion, that the best set for a true beginner, who learns better from DVDs and who wishes to get the most bang for their buck possible, is the Complete Card Magic 4 DVD set by Magic Makers.

I personally found this set to be a great way to learn many classic effects, ranging from the very easy to the more advanced - the set is divided up into stages as you progress. Many dislike Gerry Griffin's slow, and somewhat corny, teaching and presentation style - but as a beginner I found his slow approach to be just what I needed. The set contains over a hundred tricks and a large range of sleights, shuffles, flourishes and techniques.

On top of that, it is very cheap - an absolute steal for the amount of material you get.

I also suggest that as well as getting this DVD set, you also get a book alongside. Like you, I too am a very visual learner who learns moves far more from DVD than book. however, I found that the combination of DVD AND book to be just what the doctor ordered. There are many great books on card magic out there. If you have the money for it then the first two volumes of Card College are the way to go - additionally you can get these as an electronic file (for a pad or tablet) which contains video clips of the moves - the best combination possible for a visual learner like yourself! There's an advert for the Card College bundle PDF near the bottom of the Café, I believe Smile

If your budget doesn't stretch to getting Card College, then the Dover reprint of The Royal Road to Card Magic is pretty cheap and easily available.

Hope you find what you're looking for. Card magic is a wonderful journey!
Aljaz Son
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Aljaz Son
And if you need a break from sleights and focus on presentation only, Roberto Giobbi' Card College Light series is a great resource of professional caliber "self working" card miracles Smile
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
Daryl's encyclopedia of card sleights help me with learning different way of controlling a deck of cards and most essential sleights . The best ever of Harry Lorayne DVD series was an unexpected gem for me. I was surprise of how many of his material I incorporated into my own card magic .
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
I personally enjoy Jeff McBride's card manipulation videos, they absolutely rock! He is no doubt one of the best card magicians in my humble opinion and his tutorials are extremely visual and user-friendly. I like the various card production and vanishing moves Smile
I Love You God Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
People who are not "very experienced" really shouldn't be giving advice - except for someone like the following: "The best ever of Harry Lorayne DVD series was an unexpected gem for me. I was surprised of how much of his material I incorporated into my own card magic." (!) I think I already mentioned this, but - go to www.youtube.com/harrylorayneonvideo to see some of the impromptu card items from that DVD set (only "some" - there are hundreds more on the 4-vol. DVD set). And, many have told me that they've learned from my books just as well, and many times better, than from DVDs. And that's from more "experienced" people. But... HL

MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
I have no doubt that the Harry Lorayne DVD series are rock solid as well judging by the footage of his performances that I have witnessed. Harry is not just a magician, he is a miracle worker Smile it is always good advice to learn from the very best and this gentleman stands tall among them!
I Love You God Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » DVD Card magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL