The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's missing from Kid Show/Birthday Party DVDs? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Is there anything you wish more of the DVDs covered? What topics do you wish people would address (but usually don't) in Birthday dvds?

For example, everyone and their dog talks about "audience management" and "kid control." Hardly anyone talks about proper lifting technique for heavy cases or nutrition on show days.

What else comes to mind?

Thanks in advance!
-Kevin
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Well, proper lifting and basic nutrition are pretty general life-skills which arent exclusively associated with doing kidshows.

What I wish some of the vids I'd watched way back when had covered was more of the financial / business aspect of kidshows.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Yeah, lifting and nutrition were just examples. Also, nutrition for entertainers is very different from laypeople. If you're a professional who performs a lot of shows, you have a huge stress on your body that most people don't have. Not to mention the adrenaline dumps, sweating for long period of time, etc.

Great idea on the financial/business aspect. Thanks!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Customer Service, before during and after gigs.

Ethics before, during and after gigs. (including on public social media sites)

Addressing the "search for the perfect prop,routine"

Putting more you into programs rather than Cloning - Look alike "Little Darlings" shows.

Danke
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Lots of discussion on routines...little discussion on Acting so as to milk the most laughs possible out of those routines.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I find most kidshow DVDs have an abundance of sucker tricks and "bits of business." Some performers have put out DVDs with entire routines which are basically just monkeying around with the kids, with very little magic included. That's what's missing for me ... the magic.

My shows are no exception: I definitely use sucker jokes, "bits of business" and kidding around with the kids to my advantage. But what garners great responses is when I also include some "real" magic. Short little sleight of hand bits which blow people's minds. Even the little kids "ooh" and "aah" when I do that, and obviously the older kids and adults are also amazed.

Maybe someone will put out a DVD for kidshows containing some "real" magic bits, instead of constantly relying on change bags and other standard self-working props?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Arthur, I agree and like that idea.

Magic is often watered down so much that nobody ever gets the magic. Most routines are much too long.
I can see where just a little pure magic added to a show would be welcomed by many. No long drawn
out stories, or bits of business, just the magic. A good opener and good closer would do the trick.

Call it,“Real Magic For Real Kids”

Subtitled:“Eye popping magic for the little eyes.”

Go for it.

Tom
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
I'm so glad to see where this thread has gone!!! Thank you Arthur! This has been a quest for me. I've been trying with all my might to get more eye popping magic into my kids shows. The ride still has to be enjoyable, but the vehicle must also be magical! (That metaphor is flawed I think) Here's a clip of me forcing Professors Nightmare and Fiber Optics into my 4-6 year old (and family) show under the guise of an eye test. Why? Because it really is jaw dropping. Was it successful? Sort of. Not really.

http://youtu.be/P79FT74tO4E

Kids get bored with rope tricks unless it gets silly. Even a cut and restored rope routine has to be silly for kids to enjoy it. I get it. But it's so magical if done well! That's what I was trying to do with this. Meh. I'll definitely keep trying to bring "magical" effects to the kids!

I'd love to hear about others attempts to combine stunning magic with kid fun!
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I think that the discussion here really brings out what is often not fully discussed or appreciated when it comes to kids shows. How does one construct their show? Many seem to take what they personally like, what they are good at, or what they perceive to be the critical elements of a performance and fit it into an offering for kids, without breaking down the audience and constructing the show from the audience perspective. The Great Zucchini is a master of doing just that and often his performance is misunderstood because the critic is not looking at it from the audience perspective.

An ideal DVD for kids magic discusses the strengths and weaknesses of implementing a particular approach or philosophy. The creator discusses how to construct and market a show for a target audience, and shares why the show is successful for the desired audience. The Great Zucchini correctly distinguishes between 3/4 year olds, 5-7 year olds and so forth. He has explained the strength of constructing a show specific for these audiences. The younger ages perceptions of "strong magic" and "the journey" are totally different than perceptions older kids and of course adults have. Does this nitch Zucchini as a performer? Yes, but he embraces that and uses it as a strength in branding himself.

The point is, if this perspective of a DVD (intended audience, and why) is brought out, the DVD is then much stronger and can be seen as offering a differentiated approach.

A bit off topic - I would love to see a Instant Author type product available for the 3-6 range. I own Kevin's current product and it is very well done (the best in my opinion), but younger audiences would appreciate a more age appropriate item.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
I think your point is a good one, Danny. We've all seen performers doing things THEY enjoy and ignoring the fact that the audience isn't enjoying it. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen magicians performing the linking rings and enjoying the h*ll out of it while the kids are stoic and wondering (I suspect) "why is he linking these things in the first place?" Then again, I've seen performers wow an audience of kids with the rings. So there's something to be said about performing what you love.

Can you imagine a jumbo Extreme Burn, but with child themed paper? Like 5 spelling tests with Fs on them, then flicked into As? That's a magical eye popper for both kids and adults.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's missing from Kid Show/Birthday Party DVDs? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL