The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Some issues with iPhone 6 and iOS 8 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marshall the Magi
View Profile
New user
Oxnard, CA
15 Posts

Profile of Marshall the Magi
There have been a few posts on the Café concerning the new iPhone 6 and iOS 8 regarding compatibility with various magic apps. For what it's worth, here's my list of apps I have personally tested along with the results.

* Card Now - Not recognizing the icon during set up or restoring Pro status.
The issue is with the larger screen allowing more icons to be displayed. As a work-a-round, set the display mode to "Zoomed" (Settings -> Display & Brightness -> View (under the DISPLAY VIEW tab). Now reset the Home Screen as instructed in Card Now. The app will now function correctly. You can either leave your phone display zoomed or set it back to standard, but with standard view, if you show the phone's screen after the effect, it will look different.

As for restoring Pro status, make certain you have signed in to iCloud with your Apple ID. After doing so, Card Now should restore your Pro status. It did for me.

* iForce - "Springboard View"
Still works but practice the Springboard View with the larger screen as it has a recognition difference when using the default, "Standard View" mode. This can be made easier by changing the phone to use the Zoomed display mode as noted above.

* Magic - Card - Immediately aborts on launch
This app stopped working on iOS 8 on the larger phone. It also has a very dated look because it still relies on the older, pre-iOS 7 icon design. I've moved it to my old iPod running iOS 4.2.1.

* My Pet Boris Magic Spider - No issues
Thankfully, this app seems to work OK. The only small issue might be that the finger seems to be a bit larger, however, I do not think it detracts from the overall effect. I have not tried the Butterfly.

* Magic Trick #3
Works as designed with no specific issues related to iOS 8 or the larger iPhone screen. However, the calculator layout is different than the standard, but that's by design.

* MagicSAM - Society of American Magicians - No issues, mostly.
Created for members of the S.A.M., this app has three magic effects. Tricky Photography, AlakaZOOM!, and Card Insurance seem to work without issue, although their screen does not completely fill the larger phone screen.

* Marty's Psypic - Zoom out does not work.
No longer recognizes the "pinch" gesture to allow the "zoom out effect" revealing more of the prediction. I guess you could still use the app, but zooming in and out during the reveal is such a strong part of the presentation. I don't think I'll use it on my phone until it's fixed. Off to the iPod.

* Mental Killer - Works, but needs a face lift.
This is another app that has an outdated interface which looks different than iOS 8. It really should be updated but otherwise, it works fine. And since it's a phone app, I can't install it on my iPod. Bummer!

*Mind Lister - Works better!
This app actually benefits from a larger screen due to the difficulty reading the words in the font used by the app. I use it on my iPad Mini running iOS 8 where it really is easy to see.

* Rising Card Magic Trick - Another old interface design
Another app that still relies on the device running a version of iOS before the icon designs changed. It should be updated. Otherwise, it works fine.

Well, that's it. Hope this helps.
- Larry
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
How did you get mind lister to transfer over???

Mine didn't make it for some reason :/ it's not available in the cloud anymore either for some reason...
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
If you did a transfer purchase from your iphone to your iTunes on your computer, I believe you can preserve some of old and very old app that maybe no longer available at the AppStore.
Marshall the Magi
View Profile
New user
Oxnard, CA
15 Posts

Profile of Marshall the Magi
DynaMix: I am assuming you have a Mac here so, depending on your OS version, your mobile apps can be found at:

Users -> {your user name} -> Music -> iTunes -> Mobile Applications

The Mind Lister file app I have is MindLister 1.0.ipa. You could also Spotlight search for it by entering mindlister in the search box.

If it is not on your local drive, hopefully you have a backup in Time Machine.

If you are using a Windows PC, it should also be on your local hard drive in a similar location. Just try searching. Hope you find it because it is way better on the larger screen.
- Larry
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Hi,

I found this post interesting:

"* iForce - "Springboard View"
Still works but practice the Springboard View with the larger screen as it has a recognition difference when using the default, "Standard View" mode. This can be made easier by changing the phone to use the Zoomed display mode as noted above. "

The reason I bought an iPhone6 Plus is because I want to always use zoom mode to see Smile
I hate wearing my reading glasses.

In either case, I can not get the Springboard View" to work at all on my iPhone6 Plus running IOS 8.
yes, I am in Zoom mode.

:-(
Long Island,

New York
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Great stuff, Marshall. Thanks.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, Marshall the Magi wrote:
DynaMix: I am assuming you have a Mac here so, depending on your OS version, your mobile apps can be found at:

Users -> {your user name} -> Music -> iTunes -> Mobile Applications

The Mind Lister file app I have is MindLister 1.0.ipa. You could also Spotlight search for it by entering mindlister in the search box.

If it is not on your local drive, hopefully you have a backup in Time Machine.

If you are using a Windows PC, it should also be on your local hard drive in a similar location. Just try searching. Hope you find it because it is way better on the larger screen.

I FINALLY got this to work after a very frustrating few attempts! Never got a chance to say thanks so THANK YOU! This helped immensely!
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, Expertmagician wrote:
Hi,

I found this post interesting:

"* iForce - "Springboard View"
Still works but practice the Springboard View with the larger screen as it has a recognition difference when using the default, "Standard View" mode. This can be made easier by changing the phone to use the Zoomed display mode as noted above. "

The reason I bought an iPhone6 Plus is because I want to always use zoom mode to see Smile
I hate wearing my reading glasses.

In either case, I can not get the Springboard View" to work at all on my iPhone6 Plus running IOS 8.
yes, I am in Zoom mode.

:-(

Today I experimented with BOTH the zoom mode and normal mode on my new iPhone6 Plus running IOS 8 and the Springboard view still does NOT work :-(

Advice....I will be happy to send screen shots of my phone settings if anyone can assist ?

PS: I prefer to always keep my phone in zoom mode.

Thx !
Long Island,

New York
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

No advice for iPhone 6 Plus ?
Long Island,

New York
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Spoke with Greg earlier tonight and he is aware of the viewing problems with iForce on 6 and 6 +. He is working on it .....he has an ever growing list of projects and product fixes but he is on it and hopes to fix it soon.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Thanks for the iPhone6 Plus in Zoom mode feedback.

Do you know if Telephoto works on the iPhone6 Plus in Zoom mode ?
I would like to buy it, but, I would be upset if it did not work on my iPhone6 Plus in zoom mode.
Long Island,

New York
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Your phone is not out in the open during the performance of TeleFoto. There are a few different ways to get the information but you shouldn't need to zoom in or out of it during performance even if you need to use the peek method.
Louis1974
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Louis1974
Hi everyone and happy new year! I purchased telefoto over the holidays but I can't get it to work! When I put in the special url, I get a message saying "url not found". I tried many things... In vain... I have an iPhone 5s and updated to iOS 8. Can you please help me? Thx!
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Hi Louis,

I'm guessing the problem because you're using para.ms that already stop working.

Below, I quote Greg's solution regarding para.ms

Hope this will help you.

Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, Greg Rostami wrote:
Dear friends,

We just found out that para.ms has stopped working.

para.ms is the URL shortening service that teleFoto and Supa Thump use to shorten the long URL.

We are currently looking into another solution for your URL shortening needs.

In the mean time, here's a solution:

For teleFoto:
Instead of using para.ms/fo/x-y

Please use:
333pics.com/?id=x-y

For Supa Thump:
Instead of using para.ms/st/x-y

Please use:
supathump.appspot.com/t/x-y

You are welcome to use other URL shortening services (like j.mp ... aka bit.ly) to make the above URLs shorter or easier to remember.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience, but I'm afraid the failure of para.ms is completely out of our control.

Thank goodness, we had anticipated this problem and have other URLs that will work.

thank you for your patience as we resolve this problem,
Greg Rostami

PLEASE NOTE: This problem does NOT effect RA or RACAAN. Both RA and RACAAN are working perfectly.
Louis1974
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Louis1974
Awesome, thank you! It is now working.
Ben rayot
View Profile
New user
Belfast
5 Posts

Profile of Ben rayot
Within the app itself how do I change the url? When I go to settings I can't type the new URL it won't let me remove the para.ms one. Please help
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

You can't remove the para address in the app you just have to remember the new address when you are typing whatever you are going to thump into the device your thumping from. Your device will still act as the receiver with out any problems.
Ben rayot
View Profile
New user
Belfast
5 Posts

Profile of Ben rayot
Great!!!! Thanks Gordon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Some issues with iPhone 6 and iOS 8 (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL