The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Break-A-Way Wand question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I'm incorporating a Break-A-Wand wand in my stand-up set. It's being kept until needed in my case on stage. When I reach into my case to retrieve the wand and apply pressure making sure it's taught, it does not always nest together properly. Any suggestions as how to make sure this does not happen?
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
Does your wand not have a separate slotted piece to keep it rigid? (Some wands come with it and some don't.) If you have such a piece, set up the wand and twist the ends a bit to tighten the string.

If your wand didn't come with the extra piece you might try housing the wand in a tube just big enough to hold it. That should keep the pieces aligned until you pull it out. Hobby shops carry cardboard tubes in a variety of diameters for model rocketry. I'd try putting the wand in one of those with the loose end hanging out so you can grab it.
drewer
View Profile
New user
NoVa
100 Posts

Profile of drewer
Definitely try to get another wand. Each piece should fit together snuggly (at least they always do with my wand). The wands are cheap and you shouldn't have to worry about the pieces working or not.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Using a Break-A-Way Wand for over 50 years, why does it matter if a section is off by a sixteenth of an inch. The wand it in constant motion, being waved and you are looking at your spectator, and talking to him or her. All attention is the performer, and child or adult. For me it the end result and huge laughs.

StevieDee has a good suggestion. On my Su-Table I place loops of cloth stapled under the table top. This serves like StevieDee suggest, keep the wand in alignment. I let the end hang, making it very easy to procure. I have several loops of cloth for the Break-A-Way Wand, and other long items.

Being you are using a case, I am sure you will come up with an idea that will work for you. If you are using something like a briefcase, then you could add a hinged panel in the top to act as a table top, then just have it supported on the other end with hinged leg on each back corners.

Hope our ideas help you with your perplexing problem.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Also ..... try it from both ends. My stiffens better using one end instead of the other. I put a dot on the "good" end with a magic marker.

Jim
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I bought my first in the late '40s. Made ny Conrad Hade, it lasted years.

I have worn out a 'few' brakawa wands, and fans!

The first thing I do is THROW AWAY the 'extra loose piece". If I used it to keep the wand straight, it would mean one more thing to set! --and a piece to 'find'.

I just reach into the case with both hsnds. Right hand grabs the end, and left hand straightens the wand as I put pressure on..
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Break-A-Way Wand question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL