The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Web Worm! Beware what you open!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
I have received over 80 e-mails (and counting) to two different servers today from hijacked e-ddresses. I include much of the text from a trusted source which I just received while typing this. I have deleted only their advertising info.
"Yet another worm congests networks around the world

Warning! On Monday, January 26, 2004, a new INTERNET worm dubbed "MyDoom" (also known as Novak) began spreading rapidly across the globe. All indications are that it could be one of the worst internet threats in the past few years.

Unlike other worms or viruses, MyDoom has few identifiable characteristics and no specific pattern of files or email messages to which it attaches itself. Some versions of MyDoom emails have a subject header that says "Hi," but other versions contain completely different greetings. The body text of some MyDoom emails says: "This message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as a binary attachment." However, other versions of these emails have body text that is completely gibberish, or none at all. In addition, there are several different types of email attachments that the MyDoom worm hides inside of, including files that end with the extensions: ".bat," ".cmd," ".exe," ".pif," ".scr," or ".zip."

MyDoom is particularly threatening because it has the capability of installing a secret "keystroke" program onto the victim's computer. This keystroke program allows the worm's creators to record everything the victim types on his/her keyboard, such as credit card numbers, passwords, etc. In addition, MyDoom is programmed to carry out a denial of service attack on the official website for the SCO Group. Not only does a denial of service attack cause the targeted website to crash, but it also can generate a slowdown in global internet traffic.

As with any email that tries to persuade you to open its attachment, Geeks On Call strongly urges you not to open any file unless you are 100% positive that it is safe. The best way to protect yourself from infection by viruses, worms, or Trojan horses is to employ a three-pronged security approach: anti-virus software, a firewall, and the latest Windows security updates. First, you should install the most recent version of a respected anti-virus program, and keep its virus definitions updated on a weekly basis. Second, the use of a software-based firewall can help to keep you informed of any suspicious programs or Trojans that try to connect to the internet. Third, it is imperative to install the latest security updates and patches for the Windows operating system. Microsoft never sends Windows updates or security patches to anyone via email. The only place that you can safely download Windows updates and patches is at the official Microsoft Windows Update website, which is http://www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com ."

That is all they said beyond promotional info.

The point about the subject line is well taken; I have gotten some with no subject, and many with "HI", "TEST", "Server report", "HELLO", and some that purport to be mail delivery notices!!! In any case, do not open these either. Even IF they are legitimate, that does nothing for you as you most likely did not send the e-mail that they caught; rather, your e-ddress was taken from someone else's contacts like mine were. (I have actually gotten some addressed from my own domain in names that do not exist. It obviously just takes the domain name, and adds a name randomly.)

The size tends to be in the 31kb-35kb range.

JM Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
Thanks Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
There is also apparently a Trojan Dropper going around. I was talking to my sister over AOL Instant Messenger today and I clicked to view her profile. It had a link in it and the link was my screen name. I clicked it to see what was going on and it took me to a site where a bunch of things popped up and I kept getting screens that said "PRESS YES TO INSTALL!" I always clicked no and then all of a sudden my Norton Alert came up saying I had been infected with a Trojan Dropper. Luckily enough I have Auto Protect on and it stopped it. I ran like 4 system scans following different things off Norton's website to make sure everything was clear and it was.

Apparently my sister had (and still possibly has) a virus on her computer that attacked her AIM. It only affected one screen name though which is strange. She has since stopped using that screen name. I don't know about anyone else's computers but with mine I can hold my mouse pointer over a link and it will show me in the bottom left hand corner of my browser window where the link will take me.

If you get a link to www-percentn-c*m (dashes and * added so no one clicks it accidently!) DO NOT CLICK IT!! You will get screwed over!

Be careful everyone. There are more people nowadays that just plain suck and decide to write this stuff up.

Chris
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
At work (day job Smile ), the ones I received have been smaller: in the low 20s KB size. Smile

JM Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
Thanks,
I have recieved over 200 of those. Urrrrrrrrrr.
I also heard there is a new version of it out as of today. Just be careful. Also I would get an Adaware or something like it to protect your computer from spying.
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Wonderful. There's a virus with my last name.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
A good rule is to NEVER open ANY attachment unless you know the person and you knew that he was going to send it to you. You can get viruses that pretend to be anything and everything.

Sometimes it will say some big name company like www.USbank.com but when you click on it, it'll take you to some other site that you've never heard of.

http://www.USbank.com
www.USbank.com

Click on both of those links, you'll go to two different places.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Oh what a pain, I get at least thiry of these viruses a day.
Dennis Michael
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Here is some more information everyone:

http://www.jayloden.com/VirusClean.htm

That link has information about the virus going through AIM.

Chris
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Guys I am still new to the internet and to computers in general, but I often wonder and will someone please tell me: What kind of IDIOTS create this stuff? What kind of pea brained nincompoop gets his rocks off by creating something that destroys the property of other people, complete strangers that they have never met?

Just what kind of thrill do these freaks get out of this?

Isn't this kind of like an arsonist, or a murderer who goes around causing pain and havoc in the lives of folks who have never done him any harm?

Just what is the deal with these folks, anyway?

Don't they have a life?

Can any one understand or explain their mindset?

Frankly, I'm stumped.

I can't fathom people destroying the property of other folks who have never done them a lick of harm, just for the fun of it.

But is that not exactly what the creators of the computer worm and viruses do?

Is this like cheap thrills taken to the max?

Sorry, I just don't get it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Daffy, you nailed it. Cheap thrills. People that hurt others for no apparent reason do so usually because they are in so much pain inside (for whatever the reason[s]). For many of these people, the only way to forget the pain that they suffer is to inflict pain on others. Sad to say, but that is the world we're living in. I'm much happier trying to brighten someone else's day instead of dumping on it. Try not to dwell on it but on the other hand don't just turn your head or close your eyes to make it go away. There are times when it is more difficult to sit and watch the news or read a newspaper than get through one of your more stressful days. Just some of my thoughts, Lee
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks, Lee.

Sorry, but these folks make me so angry I would just love to choke the **** out of them.

I just find it so incredibly difficult to believe that there are actually people in the world who sit around and do this. (Write up these virus programs)

I guess that mind set is so diametrically opposed to everything that I am or represent or believe, that my mind simply can not grasp it.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2004-02-14 03:13, daffydoug wrote:
I often wonder and will someone please tell me: What kind of IDIOTS create this stuff? What kind of pea brained nincompoop gets his rocks off by creating something that destroys the property of other people, complete strangers that they have never met?

They are the same minds that could probably find a cure for cancer or change the world for the better if they re-directed their "genius" efforts.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Mac user - trying very hard to hold his tongue...

Dang, shouldn't have said anything....

Sorry
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I don't know if I would call them geniuses, but they apparently know more about computers than I can ever hope to.

Just a sad waste of life, though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Web Worm! Beware what you open!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL