The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why write "Mentalist" on a business card? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Rolyan wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, Mr_Grue wrote:
In the UK you'd certainly not want to put "mentalist" on a business card, as it is a derogatory term over here for someone with mental health issues.

Since when?

In the UK this definition was popularised by Steve Coogan when his character Alan Partridge ran from an obsessed fan screening "Get away from me, you're a mentalist!" Having lived in the UK for the last 50 years I can say with total conviction that the term is in common use age to describe a nutter. It is rarely if ever used to describe a psychic entertainer by anyone outside of magic or mentalism.

In my neck of the woods it is still very much in common usage, only last week a friend of mine was complaining about being single, I said to him "Why don't you try online dating?" His reply "tried it, it was full of mentalists".

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Do you mean a mentalist wizard, Chaz?

What you did there, I see it Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
As far as the original question is concerned my cards have my name, phone number and email address. The design does fit in with what I do but generally if I give out my card the person knows what I do and wants my contact details. Rarely if ever have I been booked soley as a result of handing out my business cards even as a magician when my cards described me as such.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
russellajallen
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of russellajallen
I'm not a pro, but had some cards made up just on the off chance - I've called myself a psycological illusionist, but that may change over time. I don't mind the use of the word mentalist, as I think it's a talking point any way. I'm from the UK and very rarely hear the term used in that context.

I also need business cards for a few of my routines - I might have to change the design, I'm not 100% happy with them, as I'm just starting out I think it should be ok to do that.
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
I think that the perceived issue in the original post has more to do with the perception of the use of Business cards. In the original post it seems to me that business cards are being treated as a marketing device. And sure some people have limited success that way. But the business card is a networking tool not a marketing tool. You meet someone and you give them your card and hopefully you get theirs and then y'all go home and add the info to the Rolodex and reach out on the social media and build that connections. Once that connection is established then you can market to that person with the press kits or post cards or flyers or what have you.

So it really doesn't matter what you put on your card as long as its what you use elsewhere, if it says mentalist on the card it should say mentalist on your website, facebook, linkedin, etc. It should all present a united front that is your brand image.

A good article on business card use is http://lifehacker.com/why-business-cards......51222760
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Mad0hatter wrote:
But the business card is a networking tool not a marketing tool. You meet someone and you give them your card and hopefully you get theirs and then y'all go home and add the info to the Rolodex and reach out on the social media and build that connections. Once that connection is established then you can market to that person with the press kits or post cards or flyers or what have you.

One of the best bits of business I've read here in a long time. So many people seem to misunderstand the difference between networking and marketing. Smile
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
A good article on business card use is http://lifehacker.com/why-business-cards......51222760

That life hacker article is great thanks. Currently I have contact cards with a QR code on the back, but I'm thinking of getting new ones with the back blank and losing the QR code, or seeing how small I can make it on the front.

Though, the original post question, essentially asking how one should bill themselves, is really interesting. I think I heard recently that Peter Turner was calling himself a Perceptionist? I think that was on David Penn's Mystery Box launch video? That is a new one on me, but very interesting. I wouldn't advise copying it, but unpacking what that says about him is very interesting. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Gerard Senehi calls himself an "Experimentalist"

http://www.experimentalist.com
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Gerard Senehi calls himself an "Experimentalist"

http://www.experimentalist.com

Oh wow, that is really good. Both as an idea, and as a clever play on words. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the night trying to think of something like that.

I'll probably end up with a bad pun. lol
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I believe Perceptionist traces back at least to Ned Rutledge.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, bdekolta wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know that. I haven't really had a chance yet to look at his work yet. Thank you.
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Why not using the title "mentalist" as nobody used it ! If you want to be different from the others!
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
A fancy title like Expeimentalist or Perceptionist is great when you're pressing flesh and can explain it, but for your hands off marketing you need words people know. Words that conjure images of what you do, also words that people will look for when they go to the yellow pages.

Take a look at the Expeimentalist website homepage, it uses words like mentalist, mind reader, entertainer more often than it uses the word Experimentalist. If you look at the source code for the home page it uses Expeimentalist four times and Mentalist six times. And the list of key words that the code uses for SEO reads "Mentalist, mentalist, mindreader, mind reader, reader of minds, corporate entertainer, corporate event, entertainer, gerard senehi, New York, New York City, NYC"

Interestingly if you google Experimentalist Gerard Senehi's website is the second link with a Wikipedia page defining the term for the first. " "Experimentalist" is a blanket term for all sorts of scientists engaged more in experimental activity than in the theoretical side of their sciences."

Does the Café have a forum dedicated to marketing strategies and what have you, if it doesn't it should.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, bdekolta wrote:

Yes- He's also credited with the statement that he uses five senses to create the illusion of a sixth.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, Mad0hatter wrote:
Does the Café have a forum dedicated to marketing strategies and what have you, if it doesn't it should.

Second that. I agree for the purposes of business cards, which is what this thread is about, you're right about keeping it straight forward. But to be slightly off topic, I think it is interesting, in relation to the developement of ones character, to think about the term we use to brand ourselves.
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, MVoss wrote:
Quote:

Second that. I agree for the purposes of business cards, which is what this thread is about, you're right about keeping it straight forward. But to be slightly off topic, I think it is interesting, in relation to the developement of ones character, to think about the term we use to brand ourselves.

I think the terms you use should be a result of a completed or mostly completed character. When you know exactly who your character is you'll know exactly what he is. As a performance artist you are your brand (more or less). So without a solid character it would be difficult to build an effective brand. And being that it is the idea that you actually attempt to sell to customers your brand is a cornerstone of successful marketing.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, MVoss wrote:
Quote:

Yes. The Café has such a forum. It's called Tricky Business.
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
64 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
Quote:
I think that the perceived issue in the original post has more to do with the perception of the use of Business cards. In the original post it seems to me that business cards are being treated as a marketing device. And sure some people have limited success that way. But the business card is a networking tool not a marketing tool. You meet someone and you give them your card and hopefully you get theirs and then y'all go home and add the info to the Rolodex and reach out on the social media and build that connections. Once that connection is established then you can market to that person with the press kits or post cards or flyers or what have you.

So it really doesn't matter what you put on your card as long as its what you use elsewhere, if it says mentalist on the card it should say mentalist on your website, facebook, linkedin, etc. It should all present a united front that is your brand image.

One of the things I learned from people who teach networking was to always ask for the other person's business card first. When they give it to you, hold it and look at it like it is a precious gift (that gives off subconscious vibes), and ask them a question about it. If they DON'T ask for yours, then either assume they don't care about networking or you (I toss that card in the trash) or they don't know to ask (I follow up with them via email i.e. nice to meet you).
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
One-on-One: Healing Trauma - Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy
Groups: Magic, Mentalism
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I've had "Professional Mentalist" on my business card from day #1 and never had a problem with it. I'm always working too!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why write "Mentalist" on a business card? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL