The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Paul Prater's Freaks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Paul Prater's Freaks

Unable to find the original thread on Paul Prater's Freaks I thought it was worth creating a new thread to discuss this clever effect. Especially with its frequent recommendation in other threads.

The effect: five envelopes each containing a picture of a sideshow freak are mixed and randomly selected by five volunteers. Each volunteer looks at their picture but shows no one else. Yet the performer is able to connect with on of the volunteers and describe the very image she is looking at.

A delightful and deceptively simple effect to perform. And a great lead in to other mind reading effects. I've used this a number of times over the years and it's a nice conversation piece afterwards as the images spark the imagination of our friends.

http://www.paulprater.com/freaks.html
Bob
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Not much in these threads...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......494902#0

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......504516#0

Nice quality prop and great price.

The envelops are a yellowish parchment paper with a bit of oily blotching stains along the edges suitable for further aging if you choose.
The cabinet cards are nice size approx 3.5"x5.3/4" photo mounted on cardboard. Each photo from a different photographer. The images are suitable for the effect and lend themselves to further aging if you require. Overall looks fine without any touch ups.

The manual is well written and is only 12 pages long. Starting with a diary story about a young girl wishing to join the circus. The effect has an interesting story for selecting one intuitive person from a group of five.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Another, nice thing about Paul's 'Freaks' ... (After & Only After You Purchase !) You have a method to produce many different routines/patter of your own & can make your own props to go with said routine ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
The method is smart and simple, which leaves you to concentrate on the story. Yes, you can make your own props and come up with many new ideas/routines. Definitely worth every penny.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
If you own inferno then you should consider the limited edition of Freaks - The props are perfect together and it is a limited run sooooo get em while you can!
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Lo Pan wrote:
If you own inferno then you should consider the limited edition of Freaks - The props are perfect together and it is a limited run sooooo get em while you can!

Thanks for pointing out the limited edition set, hadn't noticed it. Nice.
http://www.paulprater.com/freakslimitededi.html
Bob
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Yes sorry, I should have mentioned I have the limited edition.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Just ordered this, Hocus Pocus having a 30% off sale - perfect timing !! Saw the limited editions on Paul's site, ended up getting reg set to keep the extra $$ aside for next Dopps release soon.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I do not own the Limited set, purchased the regular early on !

But, my regular set does now have the old "Post Card"(not, the little box for stamp area tho!) printed stuff on backs, instead of blank.
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Have admit the LE's are tempting.......sooooo veeeeery tempting,.......
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
I do not own the Limited set, purchased the regular early on !

But, my regular set does now have the old "Post Card"(not, the little box for stamp area tho!) printed stuff on backs, instead of blank.

Hi Godzilla,

What a great idea! Can you post a picture? I'm sure there are plenty of people who have the original set who might like to mod theirs as well - and anyway I always like to see other peoples work.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks, Lo Pan ! Smile
I can't post a photo worth a Darn on Café !

But, if anyone is interested ... send me a PM with web addy and I will send a photo email.
Also, Jorey and I came up with idea of making them look more like a 'Post Card' !

~G
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
I know I am fairly late to this Party, but since I am a member of e Circus and we will be having "Story Telling Nights", "Inferno" and "Freaks" become suddenly quite important.

I do have "Inferno" and had already fun presenting it. The High Quality Props do carry a fascination of their own. Now I am thinking about using "Freaks" as a starter to get Inferno going. I think it could be a nice method to start telling the story as if you visit the circus. So the first thing you come across will be the side show ... and selecting the Fortune Teller is such a nice start for Inferno.

Well here is my question:
Do I need to buy the limited Edition of Freaks, or is it possible to age the original Set?
85$ is quite a high call for me so I am not sure at all.

Could anybody point me towards further effects that fit into the circus Theme and would mix with Inferno which shall be the main Story I want to tell.
(BTW it will be told in a Circus Tent to Circus People)
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Don't forget, I made a video to use with freaks, the voiceover was done by Paul himself. Anyone who wants a copy just PM me your email. Freaks is a great routine.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Malakim,

The lower priced sets are perfectly usable and can be aged. Here is the big difference. The limited edition sets are mounted to a thick card stock. They aren't just printed on, but mouted in multiple layers, in the manner of original cabinet cards. They are hand assembled, hand cut and hand aged. Thus, the higher price. The lower priced ones are printed.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I will be happy to answer them.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I have Freaks and love it ,i do it on Halloween shows and I will be combining it with George's vido and Inferno.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Did everyone that PMed me get the download link for the video ? I got a lot of requests so if I missed you PM me again and I will sort it out.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
845 Posts

Profile of roblane
I hadn't seen the limited edition before, wow that looks good. I so want it to go with inferno, but I'll have to raise the dosh, hope I can do it in time !
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
fredr500
View Profile
Loyal user
Cary, NC
287 Posts

Profile of fredr500
Raising the cash after being cleaned out by the Outlaw here is an issue. Hopefully it isn't "too" limited.
--------------------------------
Check out Funeral Sampler and over 200 reviews http://rosemagic.com
Author of The Sweet Psychic, http://thesweetpsychic.com
ECSS I, II, III IV, and V alumnus
PEA Member, IBM and SAM Life Member
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
845 Posts

Profile of roblane
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2015, fredr500 wrote:
Raising the cash after being cleaned out by the Outlaw here is an issue. Hopefully it isn't "too" limited.

Exactly! And is says on the site, limited to 40, possibly less...............
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Paul Prater's Freaks (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL