The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Vegas. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Currently live an hour and a half away from the Seattle area and cause of my job it was never practical to drive there and try it out. In January I'm moving to Las Vegas and am digging my nose in "To Lure With Spectacle" as well as other materials. I am ready to suck at it and keep trying. Do you need a license in Las Vegas to do so? I'm new to this side of magic and I'm moving to Vegas in a few months will live a block or so away from the strip and have ants in my pants about honing a set and testing my chops.

Felt inspired by reading "Magician Shaun's" post about working out of the pockets.

Currently honing an act with:

D'lites (starting with phone flashlight, grabbing the light and putting it back multiple times and playing with it, nice sight gags
instead of white appearing as conditioned to see..red appears, and bam, a sponge ball)

Sponge Balls

David Harkey's East Meets West Meets South, can make this play big. (Perfect to throw in some lines about how much you think your magic show is worth)

Daryl's Rope Routine

Bill in Lemon

I'm sure I'll change my sets around as I learn but that's what I'm sticking with.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
So far, made an order on glossy water resistant paper, 16" by 24". I'll need a table easel to set on the ground. Incorporating a Will Stelfox idea of putting a goal you are reaching towards, in theory I think it adds to the humanity of what I'm doing. I also inserted "Magician Shaun's" idea for a joke inside the poster, credit go to them.

noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
The value of having a sign that reads "magic show" is to let people know, as you're initially trying to get them to stop, that that is what you are up to, i.e., you're going to perform a magic show. I think it is a good idea. Many magicians use it. I also think the reference to a cup of coffee makes sense as part of a hat line where you're basically telling people that you're only asking them to contribute what they would otherwise put out for a cup of coffee. However, it doesn't make any sense to me to put it on the sign--I don't think people will understand the statement you're trying to make when they read those words on the sign, and they will simply confuse the rest of your message, which is that you're offering a magic show.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
In my act I refer to the sign a bit so it's explained. I see how that can be, due to your suggestion I'm making up signs without it but want to attempt some different techniques here to see how they play. From what I've seen is all the Magic Signs are plain, definitely not going to stick this as a one sign pony though. I just for once wanted it to be different than the normal "Magic Show" sign that I see being used.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Blindside,

Since you are moving to Las Vegas two street performers to look up that can give you guidance is GRNDL and Adam Flowers. Both of them were helping Jeff and Mario during the Street Performers Master Class.

Oh and also, don't forget to check out http://SchoolofBusking.com by Mario Morris for some great tips on busking.

Hope this helps.
George
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
You may want to rethink bill to lemon. You're going to have to carry a bag full of lemons, you'll get messy and sticky cutting them just at the point if hatting the crowd and you'll have to worry about disposal and replenishment. Just a suggestion. .
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, imgic wrote:
You may want to rethink bill to lemon. You're going to have to carry a bag full of lemons, you'll get messy and sticky cutting them just at the point if hatting the crowd and you'll have to worry about disposal and replenishment. Just a suggestion. .

Thank you for the insight, I will keep this in mind and if I do however decide to keep it in I'll have a quick clean up, wet naps in the medical bag possibly?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, gman wrote:
Blindside,

Since you are moving to Las Vegas two street performers to look up that can give you guidance is GRNDL and Adam Flowers. Both of them were helping Jeff and Mario during the Street Performers Master Class.

Oh and also, don't forget to check out http://SchoolofBusking.com by Mario Morris for some great tips on busking.

Hope this helps.
George
Fantastic, I think I'll be in the right place for a lot of growth.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, Blindside785 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, imgic wrote:

Thank you for the insight, I will keep this in mind and if I do however decide to keep it in I'll have a quick clean up, wet naps in the medical bag possibly?

Also, be careful if working during sunlight...while lime juice causes more problems, lemon juice on the skin then exposed to sunlight can react and cause burns..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2094864/
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
OK, I wouldn't do anything that required me to carry lots of props that were going to be cut up... (wait, I do a cut and restored rope routine AND Shang-hi Shackle which require me to do exactly that, but they're not juicy or sticky, so I'm good) but that information about lemon juice and sunshine was worth the entire thread!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Chris Randall does his version of the bill in lemon on the streets and has no problem.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2014, charliemartin wrote:
Chris Randall does his version of the bill in lemon on the streets and has no problem.

It's a matter of preference. I see some performers with trunks on wheels they lug to pitches. Others work out of their pockets. Just wanted to throw the issue out for consideration...
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Although he may not even be taking that issue into consideration, Chris Randall performs mostly at night, and also under cover on Fremont Street, so the sunlight wouldn't be an issue. Great tip though! I will definitely be keeping it in mind!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Police can interpret rules to their advantage. I've heard of buskers with a roll around case get told they're "storing" things without a permit. I think it's a twisted interpretation of a law they use to rid the streets of homeless people with shopping carts full of junk. Fremont St seems to be fairly busker friendly now, but the rest of the city may not be.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
You're right, Dave. Police do use certain laws to their advantage. Sometimes it's right and sometimes it isn't. Fremont is definitely more busker friendly, but I think a lot of that is (beyond entertainment) to hopefully contain the situation, so as not to let it get out of hand elsewhere. Having said that, the Strip and Fremont are the only two places you would really want to perform anyway, as this is where 99% of tourists remain throughout their stay.
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Vegas. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL