The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Bannon - Sizzle (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Having to watch 'Sizzle' again would put me into a coma!

There was a really great trick sold by Davenports years ago [for a fiver] that I think was called 'Rainbow Cascade'
It was by Roy Walton.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Darius DCLXVI wrote:
Well Grandad, perhaps your mates down the old folks home, who I'm sure like me wear nappies, know what Pryle of 3s are but the majority of people, you know, all us young whippersnappers know what a Royal Flush is. Perhaps you missed the popluarity of Poker in your most recent coma.

Well, actually I showed this clip to the folks at the home. All of them were of the same opinion. They said "what makes this trick any better, or different, than Alex Elmsely's Dazzle Act, Oliver Makenzie's Drink Trick, Bruce Cervon's Dirty Deal, Ronnay's Sympathetic Cards, Joe Riding's End of the Rainbow, Mo Howarth's Chinese Poker, etc"? You see they may, like me, be older but they remember what has been produced many, many years before.

I may even ask the guys down my local pub tonight - most of them playing cards are in their 30's, yet always tend to play either Crib or 3 Card Brag. Maybe, it's a Midlands, or even a working-class thing? After all, from what you are alluding to suggests that most people in Britain know the game of Poker (oh you are seriously so very much mistaken).

So putting all that aside, maybe you can explain what makes this trick so wonderful and what stands out from so many others that are similar - apart from the fact that, from what I'm reading here, it simply appears to be popular because it's by John Bannon. If it was a creation of an unknown creator, you can't convince me it would be selling for £18 quid + postage; and nor would it be held in such high esteem.

If you like it then fair enough. But please don't try and stop others from having THEIR opinion - particularly when there are some of us old farts still around that have probably forgotten more about card magic, and packet tricks in particular, than you'll possibly ever know. Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Barry nails it again. Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Darius DCLXVI wrote:
Well Grandad, perhaps your mates down the old folks home, who I'm sure like me wear nappies, know what Pryle of 3s are but the majority of people, you know, all us young whippersnappers know what a Royal Flush is. Perhaps you missed the popluarity of Poker in your most recent coma.

Well, actually I showed this clip to the folks at the home. All of them were of the same opinion. They said "what makes this trick any better, or different, than Alex Elmsely's Dazzle Act, Oliver Makenzie's Drink Trick, Bruce Cervon's Dirty Deal, Ronnay's Sympathetic Cards, Joe Riding's End of the Rainbow, Mo Howarth's Chinese Poker, etc"? You see they may, like me, be older but they remember what has been produced many, many years before.

I may even ask the guys down my local pub tonight - most of them playing cards are in their 30's, yet always tend to play either Crib or 3 Card Brag. Maybe, it's a Midlands, or even a working-class thing? After all, from what you are alluding to suggests that most people in Britain know the game of Poker (oh you are seriously so very much mistaken).

So putting all that aside, maybe you can explain what makes this trick so wonderful and what stands out from so many others that are similar - apart from the fact that, from what I'm reading here, it simply appears to be popular because it's by John Bannon. If it was a creation of an unknown creator, you can't convince me it would be selling for £18 quid + postage; and nor would it be held in such high esteem.

If you like it then fair enough. But please don't try and stop others from having THEIR opinion - particularly when there are some of us old farts still around that have probably forgotten more about card magic, and packet tricks in particular, than you'll possibly ever know. Smile

Seriosuly, don't give me that "I've forgotten more tricks than you will ever know line". It's complete BS. For a start you have no idea how old I am. I can tell you it's a lot older than you think it is. And you have no idea how many tricks I know and have forgotten, could be more or less than you. It doesn't really matter. I know people older than me that know less than me, equally I know people younger than know more, age doesn't come into it!

I'm not stopping you having your opinion anymore than you are stopping me having mine.

Completely disagree with you about the Royal Flush thing, so we will have to agree to disagree on that one, no point continuing to argue about it. All I can say is I've been producing a Royal Flush in various fashions for many many years and it has always got a great reaction, especially with Royal Scam which is proabably my favourite packet trick.

You are probab;ly right that this would not get as much attention if it were released by an unknown magician, but you could say that about a lot of tricks.

Is it better than Dazzle, that's a matter of opinion but when it does the same plot but removes half passes and adds a kicker finish I know what I would rather do.

I have been using this and it really does kill, no, not literally, it's an expression, perhaps getting getting killer reactions is a better thing to say. I will bow out now and leave it at that Smile
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Well it certainly wasn't 'Worker of the Week' on today's Wizard Product Review..............unsurprisingly for a lot of similar opinions as outlined above.

And just to add 'Darius' I may not know how old you are (despite the fact that you didn't make any mention of any of the aforementioned similar packet tricks from the 60's/70's); but my comments did not sink so low as to mention a medical condition that has affected many much younger than ourselves.

And my overriding question remains. What makes this version by John Bannon better than any other?

The term "standing on the shoulders of giants" springs instantly to mind.

P.S. He didn't give any credit either when he released 'Twisted Sisters'. The concept was originally the work of a Dutch Magician named Corvello, in the late 1960's.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
TheFeds
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of TheFeds
I think it offers a lot, but the question that each will ask is whether that is something that is of interest. Obviously for some that answer is no and for other the answer is yes. I'm not sure why there is the need that everyone else has to like/hate what I like/hate. If everyone liked what I like then we'd all be performing the same material and it would be boring as hell for anyone.

As much as I like Dazzle by Alex Elmsley, you are left with a stack of double-back cards on the table.

Some good points of Sizzle
* All cards are in play from the beginning - no need to introduce new cards or steal any out.
* All cards are normal, apart from the back design being different, and can therefor be examined.
* If the bullet party display is done well, it seems like a casual display of both sides of all the cards.
* It uses fairly simple sleight of hand that most would be able to accomplish.

As for the Royal Flush ending, I live where that would be the ideal ending, but like most effects there is no rule that says you can't change it to better suit your audience.

I really can't understand the level of hostility that can be shown for a discussion about a card trick. You'd think we were talking about taxes, or social programs.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Did someone mention social programs? I'll have you know ...
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Elmsley's Dazzle is the one for me. Those that say you're left with gimmicked cards on the table obviously have never heard of a pocket in which they can be put.

Plus, his routine makes sense whereas Bannon's is rather disjointed IMO.
TheFeds
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of TheFeds
No, a pocket is not a difficult concept to grasp. However one of the nice features of having multiple colour changes is the display of the colour contrasts, so putting away the cards kind of takes away from the impact of the effect.

As for what Bannon's routine is and isn't, I can't really say as I've only seen Liam perform it. But I like John Bannon's work and I like both the plot and Elmsley's Dazzle. As for presentation, well, that would be my part so it would only be be as good as I make it.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
I think that it is ok, but why would you want to performe an ok trick? There have been so many great packet tricks released over the years, many from Mr. Bannon himself so I don't really see the point in buying this as long as your not a hobbyist and is dying for a new trick to performe for your friends.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Nope, for me , even though no gimmicks, it hasn't half the impact of Dirty Deal.
C.J.Magic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of C.J.Magic
The video demonstration was difficult to watch. Not having performed it, I can't say how a lay audience would react.

I perform Daryl's Odd Quad and people go postal.

Here is Daryl performing Odd Quad at the Magic castle. Just listen to those reactions:

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2014, Liam Montier wrote:
Hi all,

Some of the elements that people don't like from the demo were my call - I'll see if I can get another demo shot for you guys, something with a bit more presentation, and faster moving. I concentrated on showing the bare-bones of the trick, and maybe I should have given it a bit more 'BOOF'. Smile

Watch this space for a new demo when I get chance.

Peace Smile

Liam.

Been about 6 weeks. Anywhere with the new vid? I really like John Bannon's work as well as Liam's but I still just can't get past this over Royal Scam. A couple shoehorned color changes added in just don't justify $30 worth of BOOF to me (as I already have Royal Scam).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2014, Cameron Francis wrote:
Elmsley's trick is great. So is his presentation. And you could adapt a similar presentation with this one if you wish.

For all of those saying this trick is a mess... Really? The plot is pretty straight forward. You put a card with a particular color in the packet and they all change to that color. Then there's a nice surprise ending.

Kind of like the original Elmsley effect... You know. The CLASSIC.

Come on, guys. If you perform for lay people, you know they love color changing backs and kicker endings. People who say lay people don't like this stuff have clearly never performed this kind of magic for a lay person.

One of my lay friends who has seen a lot of magic loves tricks like these. "I like it when a lot of stuff happens to the cards," was his exact quote. This trick fits the bill.

We get it. We just don't like it.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2014, Chamberlain wrote:

...The initial display of the face down jokers has a discrepancy of the ace being sandwiched between all face down cards (0.50 in the video)...

Regarding the ACE OF SPADES problem, which was mentioned for several times:
What do you you think of using an advertising card instead of the Ace? ("...in every deck there is an advertising card no matter of back design, may it be red, green..."). Then take your deck and force the the AC to complete the Royal Flush.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Bannon - Sizzle (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL