The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trouble with the Riffle - Suggestions? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, Shadowstalker wrote:
What Wilson book were you talking about?

I am guessing that Ken is talking about the Mark Wilson Course in Magic. I could be wrong, but, I don't recall a Gregory Wilson book aimed at beginners.

@KenRyan: Don't get so hung up on sleight of hand that you become blind to other ways of accomplishing "magic." One of the STRONGEST tricks I perform is Dai Vernon's "Emotional Reaction." There is absolutely no sleight of hand yet the effect's impact is quite powerful.

I agree with Shadowstalker that you should not get sidetracked. The more advanced techniques will always be there and waiting for when you ready for them. That said - and I hasten to add that I am a strong proponent of sleight of hand - there are TONS of brain crushing tricks and routines that do not require advanced methods. Additionally, advanced sleight of hand does not guarantee strong MAGIC. You could have the ability to execute a perfect second deal but what does that mean out of context of effect?

You made a wise decision purchasing Giobbi. Go through it slowly, read it closely and pay attention to Giobbi's essays. I would say that you might also consider purchasing Harry Loryane's Classics Collection v.1 AFTER you complete the first volume of Card College. This is a compilation of Mr. Lorayne's first books on magic and contains what many consider to be one of the most important works EVER written, namely Close Up Card Magic.

And lastly, don't wait so long to come to the Workers section. At first it will seem insane and guess what? After a number of years it will STILL seem insane, but, you will learn a lot by interacting with the community. We are somewhat psychopathic but we have the best cookies on The Café Smile

Best,
Vlad
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
That is correct, Vlad. I meant Mark Wilson. Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for the advice! More goodness from the Café. And because you mentioned psychopathy and cookies in the same sentence, I will take you up on your invitation to the Workers section.

Thanks again!

Ken
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
Very well written Vlad, Thanks for the info on the book.
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trouble with the Riffle - Suggestions? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL