The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Effective resume (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
I'm working on bulding a resume and all the business books talk about them, well, the one's I've read... But they never seem to explain how to build one up in detail. Through help from a magician (REY-Rey), my current technique is to simply perform free shows for say, some type of benefit show and to simply ask for a letter of reccomendation to put into my resume.
I'd really like to get some letters from quality sources...Are there any other techniques anyone would care to share????ROY
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Are you referring to an actual magic resume or are you talking more about a promotional packet that gets sent out to your clients?

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Roy,

Here's a technique to improve the letters you get when doing a free show for a Rotary or Kwianis club.

When you ask the club president to provide a letter, ask if he or she would be willing to put it on their own business letterhead rather than on the Rotary stationery. The officers of the Rotary Club are business people in the community, bank VP's etc. If you can get them to put the letter on the bank stationery instead of the Rotary stationery it will look more impressive in your packet.

Be sure to highlight phrases that rave about your show so they will stand out. Everybody knows that the show at the Rotary Club was freebee, but most people don't read letters closely. Many people will assume that the show was for the bank when they leaf through your promotional materials quickly.

It's a little tricky, but we are tricky magicians aren't we.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Yeah, thanks Mr. Snack... Kyle, I'm not trying to be smart or anything but I don't know the difference between the two. Like I've said before, I trying to learn more on the business side of magic. So, to answer your question, I guess I will say both! Smile Because I'm sure one would include letters both in a promo packet and actual magic resume's...Thanks everyone....ROY
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2004-01-30 14:12, Jim Snack wrote:
Roy,

Here's a technique to improve the letters you get when doing a free show for a Rotary or Kwianis club.

Everybody knows that the show at the Rotary Club was freebee, but most people don't read letters closely. Many people will assume that the show was for the bank when they leaf through your promotional materials quickly.

Is it SOP then that shows for Rotary (Kiwanis, Elks, Oddfellows etc...) are performed for free?
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
I've been paid by community groups like these.

I do like the idea of getting the reference letter on the business letterhead, though. If nothing else, it is almost like two organizations are referring you, instead of just the group. And, if you are marketing to the business community rather that to other community organizations, it will go farther toward giving you credibility. (IMHO)

JM Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I am still confused like Kyle. What is a magic resume?

I have been a performer for over 25 years, and book my own shows using a promotional kit, or parts of it. My foundational learning for the contents of a magic kit, or cover letter & fliers/brochures was from books by David Ginn, Sammy Smith, etc.

Could you please define what is a magic resume? Is it like a regular job resume, but talks about shows that you have done? I just don't get it.

- The Gr8 DonaldD.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Effective resume (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL