The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Christmas thriller by a magician (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi All.
I got a pleasant surprise on Thursday. A book I had written several years ago which disappeared into the maw of the publishing industry was bought by Penguin. The first I heard of it was an email on Thursday morning telling me it was out now in shops. I went to my local book sellers, and it was prominently displayed. It looked great - a fantastic start to a great day. This is my first published novel, with is a huge milestone in any writer's life.

The book is The Christmas Killer, by Jim Gallows (my pen name). Check it out if you want a page-turner for Christmas. Tony

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Killer-J......s+killer
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Congratulations. But I've got a question.

How does a manuscript get purchased by a company several years after submittal without the author knowing about it until it is actually on shelves?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Tony, I hope you have a legally signed contract outlining the percentage of royalties you will be earning.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Congrats on getting published! I hope your work finds its audience.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, rockwall wrote:

How does a manuscript get purchased by a company several years after submittal without the author knowing about it until it is actually on shelves?

Just what I was wondering as well.

Bobby Thomson.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Congratulations! Just ordered it off Amazon. Hope you see a few pennies off it. Smile
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Good luck! I read the preview and will purchase it.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, Circusman wrote:
Quote:

Just what I was wondering as well.

Bobby Thomson.

That would be a good idea for his next novel.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:

Great question. I have been away for a week (gigging in Lapland) and missed this. The answer is simple. The book was commissioned by what is called a packager. They create an idea and farm it out to an author, then sell the resulting book. This book was written for Mills and Boon, when they opened a crime division. But the crime division folded after a few titles, and the book went into limbo. I got a good advance and a share of royalties, but not the selling rights, so that was the end of the book as far as I was concerned.

Then the packager heard that Penquin were looking for a Christmas thriller, so they renamed this, invented a fictional name for me (Jim Gallows, which I quite like) then sold it on. I have been paid years ago, but will earn if it goes into royalties (ie, earns out its advance). Fingers crossed.

I also have a chance of pitching a second book (featuring a magician as the hero) to Penguin for next Christmas. So this is a big break for me, and completely unexpected. As you can imagine, it made my month. Thanks to those who are taking a chance and getting it. I hope you enjoy it. All the best, Tony
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Congrats! I still haven't gotten a round to reading Family Feud, but it's on my shelf, and I'm looking forward to it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Congratulations, Tony, that's great! Got to love those happy surprises when a past project is unexpectedly resurrected. It's happened to me a couple of times in the music industry. Best of luck with the new pitch, too.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Congratulations Tony.
I'll raise a glass to you...slainte mhaith.
The spellings from memory, but the thoughts there.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Finally got around to reading this. I enjoyed it, even if it was out of season. Definitely a page turner, but when the murderer was revealed 100 pages before the end I thought isn't this a bit too soon? Fortunately, Tony was quite in control of the story and there were quite a few fun surprises still awaiting.

I also enjoyed the dedication, Tony. Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks, Landmark. Glad you enjoyed it.

Didn't spot the dedication until now! That was an in-joke by the publisher.

Working on the next opus now - a hitman trapped in Bosnia after a double-cross. Plenty of action, twists and turns.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I just saw all this. Belated congratulations! It's on my list to get for Kindle. The new one sounds very promising too.

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
I read this this year (better late than never). It was wonderfully written and absolutely terrifying! Great novel!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Christmas thriller by a magician (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL