The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » More magic less balloons (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
At my restaurant I probably do 70% balloons 30% magic. How can I turn that around without causing a revolt?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Make your balloons disappear. Nyuk nyuk! Smile

Or maybe try weaning in a little more magic and using a little less balloons a little at a time?
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
I agree with Theodore. Just slowly transition to the other side of the coin. It's not as noticeable as just flippin' the script tomorrow evening...
More importantly, think about what the restaurant hired you for. If they want you to primarily do ballons, you might be stuck unless they are willing to compromise. In the end, if you're not happy with the outcome, you can always walk away. Tough decisions! :p
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Plink, you're a smart operator. Why swim upstream? It's the personalized connection that's most important.

If you really need to perform:
Make a balloon • do a trick • make a balloon • do a trick • make a balloon • get your tip • be ready to leave when the food arrives • leave your card "corporate magician & balloon artist, when time allows".
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
You might also consider some cool balloon effects like the new silk in balloon, cut and restored balloon or pressure. With cnr balloon you could then go right into making an animal. Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
I'd have a conversation with my contact at the restaurant and see what s/he thought about the change. Speaking of using balloons for magic: I think swallowing an inflated 260 is a cool effect.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
You can do whatever you want as long as the patrons love you and come back to see you. I doubt the restaurant cares if you are making balloons or performing mime as long as they can see results.

The problem is that giant balloon hats are pretty easy to see so if you are doing magic it better be pretty good to get a big reaction too. Either loud reactions at the table or people constantly telling the restaurant how much they loved you.

Personally I'm happy to do 70% balloons and 30% magic at my current restaurants but I am also looking for another venue where it would be appropriate to do magic only.

I think if you have balloons with you they are going to be in high demand. That's just a fact.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Don't bring balloons and see how it goes!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Thank you all for your input It is a selfish thing on my part. Balloons are big and showy at a family night and is what draws. I'm working for the restaurant to fill seats, it's working. I figure I should do what I'm paid to do.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, FiveTheMagician wrote:
I'd have a conversation with my contact at the restaurant and see what s/he thought about the change. Speaking of using balloons for magic: I think swallowing an inflated 260 is a cool effect.

I perform the balloon swallowing, often. I find that I get many requests for it, when I perform it in an afterdinner show. Don't perform it for anyone before they eat - makes some people lose their appetite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » More magic less balloons (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL