The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Flash Feathers... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I just bought some of these flash feathers made by Panda magic with the thought of using them for a flash paper to dove effect. "A must have for any dove magician" the ad says…

After giving it a try, I would recommend that no one uses them for that effect or holds them in your hand to light them since THEY EXPLODE and they burn abnormally hot for flash paper. The "explosion" shoots about two feet away and can go either up or down. There is also an audible "boom". See the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O89-T1Qu......eload=10

I don't practice with live birds (especially when using something potentially dangerous like this and I don't know exactly how it will work) so none were hurt, but I did burn my hand quite badly. I guess this is my own fault for holding it the first time without knowing, but if you are close enough to light these things at all, you aren't safe. I took precautions and lit 3 more to make sure the one I had wasn't an anomaly, and unfortunately they are all the same.

I have been using regular flash paper for a long time, so I'm just going to stick with that. To do this effect properly, the paper needs to burn slowly, like when Lance does it in his act. I just figured I'd say something here though before somebody ends up like that clown that lit the dove on fire last year.

Best,

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hi Allen,

Good idea - I used to use these too but they are WAY TOO INCONSISTANT and very dangerous. I was just using it to produce a silk and I very frequently found that I'd end up burning my hand on them because they'd burn slow then without warning literally explode in your hand. I'm not sure what was causing it but my guess was it was the glue or adhesive used to hold the "quil" portion of the feather. I now have gone back to my old way of just cutting flash sheets into feathers. Good idea making this a post as a warning...
DANSPERRY.COM
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Safety is important!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Hey Dan,

Glad someone else noticed this too. My first thought was that it could have possibly been just because the quill is rolled up, but the glue seems to be a better explanation. Either way, I cannot see these things being useful for anything. I am definitely going to try making some of my own by just cutting up regular flash paper!

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Flash Feathers... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL