The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Yet Another Finger Ring post (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blairo
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of blairo
Since I am married I always have a ring on me and wanted to learn more things I can do with it besides for telling the world about my martial devotion. I can find an overwhelming amount of information on various commercial finger ring tricks using the search function here on the Café. But some of them require gimmicked rings and as for the others I can't tell if my ring would work because it actually fits my finger. The videos I see have very loose rings, almost ridiculously so. I understand why that is important, but I don't have that option if I want to use my actual ring. So my question is about ring tricks involving rings that fit or are a little tight, requires nothing else, and is impromptu. Is there something out there for me, or should I just continue using coin sleights like I'm doing now? Thanks as always.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Coin sleights are good! Also think about thimble sleights. As far as effects with a ring, there are multiple ways to go. There are always ring on string effects. Justin Miller has a good effect on The Bold Project, Vol. 1 called Bloodlink. In essence, you make an impression in the palm of each of your hands with a finger ring (any ring; even yours), and you cause one impression to disappear and join the other impression...perfectly linked. It's a great little piece if presented properly.
You can utilize a finger ring with a linking ring set. If you use small rings like Ninja Rings or Messado Rings, you can link them to the finger ring, and not just to each other.
If you want to delve into manipulation, De'Vo has a great DVD called De'Ring. It's strictly eye-popping manipulations and flourishes with an ungimmicked finger ring. Just a few friendly suggestions...take a look around and see what you think suits your style. Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
blairo
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of blairo
Thanks Onion. I'll take look at some of those options. I completely spaced on ring on string routines. And Thimble sleights is really good too. I'll dig up some of my books and take another look.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
A ring can be used with a coin across routine.

Floating or rising ring. .. As simple as using a broken rubber band.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I do a routine in my kid's show where I string a finger ring on a loop of yarn. A child stands with a finger pointing up through the ring. A spider stole my magic ring and thought he would capture me in his web when I reached for it. But knowing a high-fat diet is not good for spiders, I used magic to make the ring melt right through the web. I pull the yarn and it comes off in a loop, leaving the ring behind on the child's finger.

Ed
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
There are a number of finger ring on and off effects you can do if you also have a shoestring, ribbon, or cord with you. There are several sources for these moves, but unfortunately I don't recall any specifics at this time since I learned them years ago. There is a separate forum for ring effects if you scroll down the list. Good luck!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
blairo
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of blairo
Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess it comes down looking a little harder at what is in front of me, which the point of magic after all. I'll take a look at some of the ring and string effects.
Invisticone
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Invisticone
Most of Justin Miller's Divorce should'nt be a problem.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
A ring can be used as the distractor in a coin effect that uses a Han Ping Chien move. You can "magnetize" your ring with a craft glue dot so it will attract various small steel items for you, but not for anyone else. The ring can also become part of a "Gypsy Thread" routine adding to the story in more ways than one by acting as a pendulum, then penetrating the string or thread, and finally by spinning the ring with a coin spin to "weave" the thread back together.

Check out the ways Qua-Fiki uses his finger ring in his "Babushka of Baba Yaga" routine from The Wizards' Journal #21.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
An additional one to check out is Personal Safe by Daniel Garcia on Vol. 1 of the Daniel Garcia Project. It's a coins across routine that also incorporates a ring. Best of both worlds Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
blairo
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of blairo
These are all great responses and I've been given some fun new things to research. My current routine is to search my pockets for a coin, fail, and say I'm going to use my finger ring instead. I then transform it into a coin, and do a transfer trick, vanish the coin and ring, and make the ring appear on my finger. It's fun, but I'd like to add some more, or change some things around. I'll check out the Daniel Garcia, Qua-Fiki, and Justin Miller routines when I recover from this holiday spending spree.
MScapes
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, Canada
56 Posts

Profile of MScapes
I've blended elements from Garrett Thomas's ring thing with Justin Miller's divorce and Patrick kun's Reflex. It makes for a nice routine and can be done with you're wedding ring
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
A great ring effect is one by Gary Kurtz called Attraction, where two wedding rings come together on some type of rod. The ring itself is not gimmicked.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
443magicman
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of 443magicman
Try ring heist by marcus eddie.
dannywu
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of dannywu
Also consider Garrett Thomas Ring Thing
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Vinny marini, Has a brilliant ring and string, and his site has some great effect.
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Read Al Schneider's work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Yet Another Finger Ring post (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL