The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2004 entrée: Harry Lorayne » » A little question... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
Quote:
On 2004-02-01 11:46, Harry Lorayne wrote:

I didn't meet any "real" magicians until after I got out of the army. I was a very naive kid, didn't know about magic shops. But - years went by and among my friends were Dai (pronounced to rhyme with "day" here on the east coast, not "dye") Vernon, Dick Cardini, John Scarne (I used to carry his briefcase!), Dick Himber, Jack Miller, Mohammed Bey, Bill Simon, Ed Balducci, Jacob Daley, and etc.

<-- I don't, personally, know any current performers who compare to some of the above. Not in the impromptu, sleight of hand, particularly card, area.
HARRY. -->

First I want to thank you for taking time to answer all these question you must have heared hundreds of times by now Smile

When I read this, I immediatly thought of jay sankey and micheal Ammar. Don't you think these are really creative as well?

Deal cards, not drugs!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Tielie: One is creative, one is not, particularly. But what I said was that I didn't know (personally) any current performers that compare to the oldtimers I mentioned. That still "holds." HARRY.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Hi Harry,

I was wondering your thoughts on Creators vs. Great Performers.

I have seen many very fine magicians that just don't create, but beautifully interpret others work or writings.

I read somewhere that Frank Sinatra was considered one of the greatest interpreters of other writers work. Yet he never wrote a song, he was also very instinctive about picking out exactly what brought out the best in himself.
He became legend in his field.

How do you feel about performers who interpret others work exclusively in close up magic?

Do you feel that every performer, especially the very talented, should strive to create?

And, with the level of written material and on video in the last 20 years, is there really any chance in your opinion, that someone could possibly come up with something that is totally new, not an offshoot of others work?

I don't know how many times I came up with something, only to find it in some book, or perhaps it was just stuck in my head?, card magic seems to be one of the most written about subjects in magic.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
The Sinatra "syndrome" would seem to work for most close-up magicians. Great performers are not necessarily creators. Of course, that's changed in the music business. Most of the "large" stars write their own stuff. There are, always, exceptions. Julio Inglesia comes to mind.
There many who tell me that their entire close-up act(s) are things from my books. I wrote in another post that one magicina told me he's put together 12 card acts just from PERSONAL COLLECTION. I feel okay about that, as long as my stuff is done well. It isn't always; I saw, not too long ago, three guys, at one magic meeting, louse up my teaching, and presentation. of THE lAZY MAN'S CARD TRICK. And it's such an easy trick to do.
No, I don't think that every performer should necessarily try to create. But, gotta tell you, I don't know of any even moderately successful magician who doesn't throw in some of his own "things," even if it's only personality. Just as a singer does his or her interpretation of someone else's song. When Sammy Davis, Jr. did BIRTH OF THE BLUES, he rocked the house - chandeliers swung - it was marvelous. And he didn't write it. One of Jolson's forever hits was, is, SWANEE. George Gershwin wrote it. And on and on.
Well, there really is very little under the sun that's totally new. I can't think of anything of mine that is. Well, perhaps The Spread Control and The Status Quo Shuffle. I can't think of any "basis" for those. Perhaps one or three others, but that's all.
And re; coming up with this great idea and then finding out that it's already been "come up with" is something I've gone through most of my magic "life." HARRY.

RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
I like that the Sinatra Syndrome.

I understand, in fact I believe you mentioned in another post about young performers coming up too fast, and not much focus on being entertaining.

I keep seeing PERSONAL COLLECTION mentioned in a lot of the posts here, sounds like more outstanding material. I think I will take the magical plunge
and purchase a copy. Hope you have on for me.

Thanks for an interesting reply.

Renzo the swingin' magician, Ring A Ding Ding!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Renzo: INMHO there's no better buy in magic. I'm known for giving MORE than your money's worth. But you'd better let me know definitely so that I can put a copy aside for you. Okay? HARRY.

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
PMFJIB... Fred Kaps was one of the greatest "performers" yet he rarely ever created any of his effects.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2004 entrée: Harry Lorayne » » A little question... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL