The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Where do magicians perform?" (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2015, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2015, TomBoleware wrote:
Charlie,

Zucchini is the real deal, you will do well learning from him. There aren’t a lot of genuine, caring, kind, and persistent, performers out there,
but then again, not a lot of really successful ones either. There is a connection. Learn that connection.

From strictly a percentage perspective, no doubt Zucchini is in the top 1/10 of 1% of people I have met with respect to being genuine and kind and helpful.That is not to say most people are not genuine or kind or helpful, but to put my beliefs of Zucchini in perspective.

Quote:
While many are out chasing secrets, Zucchini is simply doing the ‘little’ things to winning people over. Success doesn’t come from some mysterious
secret; it is the natural outcome of consistently applying the basic fundamentals.
Tom

I believe one has to factor innate talent into the equation as well as expected goals and ambitions. This is why I have found it best not to just rely on one perspective or trying to strictly become the next whoever. To me, this is where "mysterious secrets" is important to always be open to.

Oh I agree that you shouldn’t try and become the next whoever. But I figure if Eric can make it by simply being himself, you could too.
THAT is the lesson to learn from him. I also agree that it can be hard finding yourself, but until you do, you will never be your best.

Wishing you the best,
Tom
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Thanks Charlie and Tom. It does mean tons coming from you two. Here's the thing, though. For every Charlie and Tom, there is another performer that doesn't like me, which I've found on these forums. I've only been coming to these forums for a few years, but found out quickly that I have my detractors. I think there are tons of fun entertainers out there, however, I can name only a few that I trust, and think are genuine.

I know this, because I've had wonderful conversations with people, only to find out through the grapevine that they were bashing me on a particular forum. I will no longer myself use the word 'genuine' to describe people in our field, Lol.

I love getting together with people that come to town, and at conventions, meeting different people. However, I used to just trust everyone immediately, when meeting them, now I don't, in this field. I'm just being honest, I guess.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, Dynamike wrote:
Tony I. got paid for performing at the White House. Yes, seriously.

I am just after re-reading this post, and I see that Mike was claiming that 'Tony I' was paid to perform there, not Mike himself. I apologize to Mike for misreading his post.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, Dynamike wrote:
Tony I. got paid for performing at the White House. Yes, seriously.

I am just after re-reading this post, and I see that Mike was claiming that 'Tony I' was paid to perform there, not Mike himself. I apologize to Mike for misreading his post.

Tony, you right and thanks for seeing what I was trying to point out.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom I guess we have different definitions of letting it drop. I didn't mean keep talking and agreeing until make your point but oh well.

When was your last magic show again?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, my last magic show was about two years ago.
I rarely do shows anymore. However at one time I did magic full time.
I have owned a magic shop and I’ve written a magic book.
I've been self employed (owned 27 businesses) for 40 years now.

But what in the #$%@# does that have to do with anything?

Now,
When was the last time you did a ‘magic’ show?
When was the last time you did a show for kids?
When was the last time you did a show at the White House?

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Last night.

Never.

And decades ago though I was not paid.

You don't perform magic for a living or even part time yet you dispense advice to those who want to. That was all I wanted to clear up.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, I’ve also been a business consultant to a few.

But since when do you have to be a full time professional to post here.

It’s my understanding that ANY member can post here. I realize that most don’t post now in fear of
You and mindpro belittling everything they say. But still ALL opinions are welcome.

You need to get over yourself.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
See this is where everything gets derailed when you start to claim things no one has said. No where, anywhere did Danny or anyone say ANYTHING about having to be a full time professional to post here. This is simply false information never said, yet you state it as factual.

Let's face it, we all know why most won't post here and that problem has disappeared and been corrected, buddy.

Also again, are you reading the same posts as everyone else here? I am not belittling anyone. Let's not confuse calling someone out on their BS or false information or perception as "belittling."

With that said, I am sure Danny is not alone to wonder why you actually do post here not being a performer with only minimal magic-related business, and being a chronic business starter/operator? (starting a new business every 1.48 years for 40 years). And then to have such strong opinions against anyone who offers the truth and obvious real world advice, while supporting anyone for any reason without merit or credibility. These are honest questions that I know I am not alone in asking and wondering. I wondered this myself honestly.

To be so vocal against so many, the same members that others find so helpful and beneficial is very suspect if not at least curious. So why give Danny *&^# for asking?

Truth be told there are MANY here that find the information, stories, successes, failures experiences, views and perceptions of working professionals very valuable and helpful, even if perhaps you do not.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2015, TomBoleware wrote:
I realize that most don’t post now in fear of You and mindpro belittling everything they say. Tom

Quote:
Posted: Mar 21, 2015 04:35 pm Mindpro wrote:
Let's face it, we all know why most won't post here and that problem has disappeared and been corrected, buddy.

I personally believe many do not post here for reasons different than either of these. That is, they simply do not have enough interest in the business side of things to read, let alone post. Interestingly, these threads that derail tend to get the most attention.

For me, I love coming to the tricky business section to gain new insights. Those insights are generally gained through healthy debate on specific issues and topics. Unfortunately, sometimes things get personal. My perception is that this generally occurs when one's input to a thread is called into question and they believe they have been personally attacked, when in fact only the stated opinion (not the person) has been. This is where things take a change for the worse because the poster then themself makes it personal in their response. It is also apparent that there is long standing tension between some of the members here that pre-dates many current members. This makes it difficult for many of us to fully understand these relationships.

I will say from my perspective, that a forum that only contains thinly vailed promotion, positive reinforcement and random advice is not nearly as informative or interesting as one that offers advice and insights from working professionals. When differing opinions are provided, the result is that generally members gain greater insights into those opinions and to what degree they would help their business evolve. The trick is to not take offense when differing opinions are presented, or factual information is provided that invalidates another's post.

There are those that seem to post with an agenda that is not consistent with the purpose of this section and those that do really do take away from what is an otherwise incredible section of TMC.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Let me say this, fellas. You don't have to be a football player, to be a good coach. You don't know how to cook the food, to run a restaurant. Tom has added tremendous insight to people working with kids, having run a preschool center, and seeing many performers come through year after year. He also used to be full time performer, so the knowledge doesn't leave someone, just because they don't perform anymore.
Having seen Tom's threads on Little Darlings, I've always felt that his posts were helpful, and insightful, and I never cared weather he was performing or not. He knows his stuff, in my opinion.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Eric, thanks for your kindness.

I will put my business profit and loss statements up against anybody here any day of the week.Smile But nobody here should ever have to prove anything.
If we can’t trust a post all we have to do is read past it. We don’t need the self appointed magic police here screening every word because it doesn't suit their liking.

I agree that the player doesn’t have to be better than the coach.

There is an old saying, “Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master.” That can also mean, “if the student doesn’t surpass the teacher,
they probably have the wrong teacher.”

I’ve found that most magicians make lousy business people. They also make lousy teachers/coaches because they can’t let go of their ego.
Yes there are exceptions, but most have that need to feel superior so they hold back on what they give. A good teacher doesn’t hold back
because they truly want the best for the student.

My advice is to not put all your eggs in one basket, and never be afraid to seek help outside the magic circle.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Didn't have time to correct it, but that should read:

"I agree that the coach doesn’t always have to be better than the player."

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well since your MAGIC business profit and loss is ZERO I think it is safe to say you lose.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
How about doing lectures and selling magic to magicians at the lecture? How about performing at magic conventions? How about working at a magic shop and doing shows on the side?
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Where do magicians perform?" (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL