The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Doc Dougherty (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
Doc Dougherty, popular magician in the Washington, D.C., and Baltimore areas, recently passed away, after suffering from complications of diabetes, at the age of 59. Doc performed magic all over the D.C. and Baltimore areas--at shows, conventions, restaurants, clubs, theaters, community events, private parties--and he was a long-time demonstrator at Al's Magic Shop on Saturdays, alongside Al Cohen. There is a broken wand ceremony scheduled by the IMB Ring 50 group in D.C. for Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2004. Contact Ring 50 for more information.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
This should be posted in the "Looking out for our own" forum. I'll move it there now.

I also owe everyone who posted to the original topic an apology. I went to move the original topic to this forum and accidentally hit "delete topic" instead. Sorry!
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
dleiber
View Profile
New user
Temecula, CA, USA
29 Posts

Profile of dleiber
I'm new to the forum, so this post is obviously very late. It's a shame the responses were deleted when the post was moved (but I realize that these things happen); I would have liked to have read them. Doc and I dated for a couple of years in the 80s. He was a kind, generous, loving, and funny man! We could talk about magic for hours and I was lucky to learn some of my own material from him. In fact, we made a performance and tutorial home video for our own use years before that was common (and easier). It's nice sometimes to be able to hear his voice and the laughter he evoked from me. RIP, Doc.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I have a few pieces from Doc's collection that I purchased at an IBM auction, including some phoney money with a big a cartoon picture of his face on it.
dleiber
View Profile
New user
Temecula, CA, USA
29 Posts

Profile of dleiber
Geoff, that's nice to know. Did you know him or are you too young?

I may have some of that phoney money of his around, too, but I'm not sure where. If it is at all convenient sometime, could you take a photo of it for me or scan it? I wouldn't use it, but it would be nice for old memories.

I had some very enjoyable times back in the day at IBM Ring 50 in Washington D.C. and hanging around with Doc and his buddies, like Stan and Al Cohen, Larry West, etc.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Doc was a friend of mine from Al's and used to give me a lift home when I worked there on weekends. He also knew my brother-in-law through his photography work with the Smithsonian. Somewhere I have some b&w photos of them being E A Poe with a candle and eerie lighting. He is missed.
dleiber
View Profile
New user
Temecula, CA, USA
29 Posts

Profile of dleiber
Drhackenbush, he is indeed missed, even though he and I lost touch before he passed away. I wonder if you and I ever met?

And since he gave you rides home sometimes, you probably had occasion to stop by his place from time to time. He had quite an extensive record collection, not to mention magic.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
We might have met at Al's. Didn't know of his records or know where he lived, so I can't help you there. He just gave me the occasional lift a few times.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Wait
Is this the same man that lived in Pittsburgh a long time ago?
dleiber
View Profile
New user
Temecula, CA, USA
29 Posts

Profile of dleiber
Possibly as a teen or young man, but I can't remember. I only knew him from his Northern Virginia days.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I saw him at Al's once or twice, but I can't really say I "knew" him. I'll take some pictures of the stuff I have tonight (if I can find it)
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
195 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
I have one of his effect. Mirror-Aculous
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There was another Doc Daughtery that lived in Pittsburgh area. Had a great nail bending trick in the 1980's. The DC Doughtery worked at the Smithsonian photographing items which is how we became acquainted.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Doc Dougherty (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL