The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves to Rabbit... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicByTJ
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of MagicByTJ
Can anyone suggest an alternative production item or ending to the Doves to Rabbit illusion?
Do you think that it is just as impressive if the birds just vanish completley without a transposition?

Thanks!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
No. You are asking a very broad question, without providing any background information.

it is apparent, to me at least, that your question is more of a rhetorical question than one seeking information,

If it was a trade show, or similar situation, then a product might be conceivable.

IMO, the basic prop (any of various models) is not convincing enough for a vanish.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
A total vanish as your end game wouldn't be as effective. The whole point of the illusion is a transposition. There's no resolution if the birds just vanish. Where did they go? Are they coming back? It appears (and is) incomplete to the audience. When the birds turn into the rabbit or whatever you decide the end production to be, the tension is built up in the vanish of the birds and released when something replaces it. In this particular instance, the two happen simultaneously. You need that conflict resolution.

A better question to ask is why don't you want to perform the illusion as it is intended? Why not birds to rabbit?
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A vanish for a finale effect is said to fall flat in most magic shows and acts. Why, because it puts the audience into 'shock', so they are stunned at the vanish. Some performers overcome this with music, that 'sells' or signals that it is the finale of the trick. Then more music when the performer takes the applause position. Without that you will only get silence from the audience. Thus you are not ending on a high note. So include an drum roll for the vanish, then an overture, followed by a symbol crash then a "ta da" followed by another overture.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
THURSTON presented IASIA for his closing one season, The first few times he did it, it got NO RESPONSE from the audience. The point that Michael (and, Bill, also) made is 101% correct. Thurston held a 'backStage' meeting. The problem was solved with three short lines, delivered by THURSTON.

A vanish is not good psychologically Both Michael and Bill have told you 'why'. --And, I have given you some history, to make the point even stronger.

BTW, I used the doves to rabbit on a tour with a phone promotion show, and it played very well.

Another BTW...I believe that Michael meant to type 'TRANSFORMATION', NOT 'TRANSPOSITION'~!

I responded to your post on the other thread with: NO. Now, you have the details.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
MagicByTJ
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of MagicByTJ
Thanks to all who contributed to this post thus far, it has been very helpful.

Yes, I did mean to say TRANSFORMATION and not TRANSPOSITION.

Can you suggest an alternate production item to use other than another piece of livestock...? (that was the main question)

Raging_Onion - to answer your last question, I do not own a rabbit or another animal to use for the illusion.

Thank you Dick Oslund, Bil Hegbli, and Raging_Onion for your responses thus far.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The "world is your oyster" comes to mind. Since you have't told us anything about your act, we are hard pressed to suggest a production item that would fit your act or style. You can produce anything that will fit in the chamber. Some magicians use balloons, feather boas or spring flowers but using any of those would copy someone else's idea. If you're doing a coin and money act for example, how about a large load of spring bills. Or if you are doing a stage act with flowers, silks etc, how about a transformation to a large bouquet of flowers or a huge load of spring flowers.

In other words, make the transfomation fit you. We can't tell you what that is.
Where the magic begins
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Thanks for catching that slip up Dick. I did, indeed, mean transformation!

To TJ- Not having a rabbit was my first guess, but you never know! At the same time, if you have the birds, why not get the rabbit? Just a thought.

Finally, Dave is absolutely right on every level (naturally!). Smile As far as the load is concerned, you can use anything that will fit. I didn't want to state the obvious, but hey! Sometimes that's exactly what we need Smile

I'd love to hear what you come up with in the end, so keep us posted! Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have seen helium filled balloons used.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Back in the days of Downtown Unlimited promotions I did this in several cities for their TV spots. The balloon would be my final production as the bird vanished. The local producer would use the character generator to add text over the balloon.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves to Rabbit... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL