The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rice bowl gimmick (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I recently made my "new" set of bowls using 4 inch diameter aluminum prep bowls that I got at the dollar store. They are the type that can be sealed with a snap on plastic cover. As such they have decent flat rims -- not as wide as the old plastic ones from Royal -- but wide enough to hold the disc. Using Bill's sage advice on using Vaseline renders the disc from slipping and makes the seal secure.

I made the disc from the clear acetate lid from a fast food salad dish. A circle cutter that I have in my tool box made the disc easy to make. It is visible in the photo peaking out from the bowl on the left.

One last construction item... the prep bowls are too sloped at the base rendering them hard to grip when upside down. To solve that I glued (with loctite go2 glue) two craft wood disks that I sprayed with red paint onto the bottom to provide "handles" to grip the bowls when upside down. Total cost was $5.00... $2 for the 2 bowls and $3 for the precut wooden circles.

Here is a photo of the completed bowls.

Click here to view attached image.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, OK, Intrepid! Here's a Rice Bowl ANECDOTE, that had a Senior High School audience, SCREAMING WITH LAUGHTER, back in 1954!

I arrived home on leave from the Navy, on a Monday, and, learned that De Yip Loo was booked for the Gladstone, Michigan high school, on Tuesday! I had seen Loo perform at the 1950 IBM Convention in Chicago, but, we hadn't met. I went, arriving just in time for the program to start. Loo worked in a Mandarin robe. He did some very funny material, but the "biggie" was his presentation of the Rice Bowls! Remember! This was a Senior High School! He "announced" that he would tell the story of "GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE BEARS"!!! The students were very polite, but, I could see some "strange expressions on some of the kids' faces.

Loo picked up an empty rice bowl, and, further announced that he would tell the story in his native language! This really caused some questioning expressions! He said, "I was born in Hong Kong!" He picked up a container of rice, and began telling (and, acting out!) the story, in Chinese, as he presented the trick. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS. The teachers had tears in their eyes from laughing. The kids were "rolling on the floor!" Sixty years later, and, I can still "hear" them laughing!

PRESENTATION is what makes MAGIC, ENTERTAINING!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I would NEVER and I mean NEVER trust any plastic disc gimmick in an actual performance, I do not care how thin. They are skakey at best, I have seen performers embarrass the hell out of themselves when the gimmick let loose. The Al Baker rubber covers are sure fire and much more deceptive, then again you have to use white ceramic bowls which has its own charm. A few years back I found someone to make a few batches but now unable .... If I do find a new source I will let you know.

Chuck
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Anverdi-museum wrote:
I would NEVER and I mean NEVER trust any plastic disc gimmick in an actual performance, I do not care how thin. They are skakey at best, I have seen performers embarrass the hell out of themselves when the gimmick let loose. The Al Baker rubber covers are sure fire and much more deceptive, then again you have to use white ceramic bowls which has its own charm. A few years back I found someone to make a few batches but now unable .... If I do find a new source I will let you know.

Chuck

I had purchased several Al Baker Rice Bowl sets, the original retailer of these was Tannen's Magic. I contacted them and they had some made. The only thing about the replacements they were 75.00 each
I'm not sure if they have any left, but may be able to have some made again.

Jake Jr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Anyone have a supplier for the rubber cover condom like version?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:

I assume you mean the Al Baker gimmick ?

It's odd to me that what was commonly available in the 1940's - through- 1970's is now apparently a rarity . What is it that is so difficult about making the gimmick ?
It's such a superior way of performing the rice bowls effect (vs. the other more slippery and prone to fail gimmick) It's a shame that it is almost impossible to obtain.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On May 7, 2018, David Todd wrote:

Yes that's it. And how true it is that these are impossible to find. Please be so kind as to return here and post if able to find them? Thanks.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can make the gimmicks as well, by buying large balloons, and cutting them down and folding over the cut edge. It will take some time and patients on your part. Latex balloons come in many sizes, up to several feet in diameter. You will have to give it some research and development on your part.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On May 7, 2018, David Todd wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:

It's odd to me that what was commonly available in the 1940's - through- 1970's is now apparently a rarity . What is it that is so difficult about making the gimmick ?
It's such a superior way of performing the rice bowls effect (vs. the other more slippery and prone to fail gimmick) It's a shame that it is almost impossible to obtain.

I just ran across this about the Al Baker gimmick for the rice bowls. I made one a while back by covering my bowl mouth with an 11 inch balloon, with its mouth cut off. Tape the balloon on the sides so it does not slip off. Get some liquid white latex from your large craft store and water it down slightly with distilled water, so it is the consistency of thin gravy. Coat the balloon with fanning powder or talcum powder for a release agent. Place the bowl on a lazy susan and spin it then pour the latex onto the middle of the bowl, which is covered with the ballooon.

Let the latex fully cover the bowl top and run down the sides. The centrifugal force will spread the latex on the top and then runs down. Let dry for 48 hours and then coat with corn starch before removing cover. Cut the side lip so it comes down to the side colored ring on the bowl. If no colored ring on the bowl, put one on it, to mask the transition.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In 2007, Wiz Kid Eleazar invented a new type of "Rice Bowls" made from small Dollar Store Cauldrons. Candy corn is used instead of rice. You fill one cauldron with candy corn, and the corn doubles in quantity. Then the candy corn diminishes. Finally you pour from the cauldron some fresh liquid "Witches Brew" (soda or punch). The effect seems familiar, but the method and gimmick are totally new. It can also be performed with the larger size "Trick or Treat" Cauldrons. It is described in more detail in The Wizards' Journal #14-02 under Eleazar's title: "Cauldron Capers."
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
When I wrote that, I was thinking of Marshal Brodien's 'fiasco" when he was making a TV commercial for a magic kit, about 30 years ago.

He had place the loaded bowl on a table top with NO rice or matches,or ? under it.

As he did the demonstration, he was looking into the camera, and he reached for the inverted loaded bowl. He picked it up, and "it" happened!!!

He kept talking, looking into the camera, and he was trying to "scoop" the spilled water which was a "thin' puddle on the table top!

The camera crew was rolling on the floor. It was HILARIOUS!

I would love to see that commercial, or the outtakes. Will check YouTube later...
I can tell you I had that set or something similar in the mid 1970s and the one and only time I attempted the rice bowls, at probably my 2nd ever show whilst in the 6th grade, the gimmick came loose and the whole 6th grade class laughed uproariously. I had read a recovery line that served me well that day - "If I ever learn to do that trick, it won't be a trick. It'll be a miracle!"
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rice bowl gimmick (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL