The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Uk member (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andycov
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Andycov
Hi all, just a quick hello and a bit about me.
I've been a big magic fan since The Paul Daniels Magic show in the 80's and always looked forward to the David Copperfield specials that were shown on Bank Holidays.
I'm getting on a bit, and have finally decided to try and become a bit more than just a fan. I think my fave kind of magic is close up with seemingly everyday objects, but where to start!? Thousands of tricks that all look great in the online shops, so it's difficult to know where to begin.
Joining a local magic club is still a bit daunting because of the 'audition' process, so I'm hoping to get lots of advice on here.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Andycov,

Don't be afraid of Magic Club auditions. They are usually very kind in their judgment.
Just do something you feel good about in a friendly manner and don't try to impress them with things you can't quite do.
Most clubs are made up of mostly amateurs (not that there is anything wrong with that).

In the meantime there is plenty of good advice here.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Andy! First, Welcome! Second, "Festina lente" (Latin for "make haste slowly.

Don't buy a lot of "toys" at the magic shop, until you've read a book! I'm assuming that you're not an eager teenager,but a mature adult. The best book for someone just starting, or for anyone interested in learning about magic is Doc Tarbell's Course. Doc first
published it in about 1929.He wrote it for people who were totally ignorant of the fundamentals, but seriously wanted to learn.

It's published in seven volumes @ twenty dollars a volume. There is a pdf availble FREE. It's the original course from '29. The hardbound books are updated from the '29 edition. (It was published as a series of "lessons". The pdf version is perfectly adequate.

You will learn PRINCIPLES, not just a bunch of tricks. Most of the tricks use simple props and supplies found in the average home.

I am retired from a life time on the road, performing magic. Many, if not most, of the tricks I perform are tricks that I learned from Tarbell when I was a teenager in the mid '40s.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Andycov
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Andycov
Thanks for the advice, I'm googling Doc Tarbell now.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Welcome Andycov,

Lots to learn here at the Café and lots of people happy to share their experience - like Dick and Mary - take advantage of it!

Hudson
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi Andycov,

Welcome to The Café.

Mary is absolutely spot on. If you live in the Essex area, there is a very friendly magic club that meets weekly near Chelmsford. I am biased because I'm the Chairman of the club Smile

If you are local to us, PM (Private Message) me and I'll invite you over to meet us.

All the best with your magic

Michael
Andycov
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Andycov
Thanks Michael/55 Hudson,I live in Coventry. I know there is a Coventry magic circle, but I'll do a bit of reading and learn a few classics for the dreaded 'audition' before I pluck up the courage to contact them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Uk member (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL