The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Straw through Potato (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Hi guys,

I've read here numerous times that the trick isn't important. Its the performance.

I'm working on a routine, and wondering what peoples thoughts are on the 'straw through potato' trick.

As a corporate trainer - I have used this many times, with up to ten unwilling/willing volunteers. I line them up, present them each with a straw, and discuss the power of positive thinking, etc. I talk through the actions of how to stab the straw. I get them to practice, screaming out 'follow through' as they practice the stabbing motion into the potato. Then they get to perform the action after my demonstration. Its loud, with a lot of shouting, they have a lot of laughs. Their partners are obviously forced to watch in the crowd. Smile Which in turn brings extra spectators.

I would start the routine with...

Razor Raccoon to grab some attention, initial couple of people.
Stand Up Monte
Potato Trick involving up to 5-10 audience members
Finish with ID (not the standard routine)

Thoughts? Do you think the Straw through Potato trick - like this would works on the streets?
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
I did straw thru banana and didn't get any resistance. Smile
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"Do you think the Straw through Potato trick - like this would works on the streets?"

Doesn't sound very magic to me, but then, many magic tricks are science fact/items that many people don't know about yet that are applied in unusual or unexpected ways.

You wont know unless you give it a go. Maybe before you use the approach/trick on the streets you could give it a trial in some other setting.

How are you going to serve the trick up? You could do a juggling act with potatoes, do a potato peeler pitch to open with etc. Remember potato guns? Just maybe once the potato is pierced you can do a blow-dart type of thing with the straw and bit of potato. Or thread the bulk of the potato onto a string and ....

You may find that in using the trick you've fallen over the edge of the magic show and become a ...
The presentation makes the magic.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
And become a...

Something is missing. Smile
Good feedback though.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Try it and let us know. It might not be "magic" but Sounds like it could be fun with lots of audience engagement.

My only concern is the amount if potatoes you'd have to carry.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Straw through Potato (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL