The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Getting Priorities straight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Simple question here.

When putting together a comedy magic act, let's say for a night club, what do you think should have more prominence in the act. The comedy, or the magic?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Being there are no more night club, and if you mean "Comedy Club", I would have to say comedy. It is very difficult to make your magic tie perfectly with comedy for this type of venue.

Only a hand full have done it well, Harry Anderson, Michael Finney, Mack King, etc.

You really have picked a difficult task. I only tried it once on an "open mike" nite. The audience sits there looking at you wanting to laugh ... and laugh hard. It is different then putting on your own show for a group.

Bill
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Daffy Doug,
As one who has been doing "magicomedy" for years (if not decades), you have to walk a fine line in balancing the comedy and magic in the act, not to let one take over.

One way of testing it: Will the comedy work, without the magic? Will the magic work, without the comedy?

If you can answer "yes" to both those questions, then the act should work well. Otherwise, you either have a magic act, with some comedy, or a comedy act, punctuated with some magic.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Your personality!!
Your magic should be great your comedy should be great but it will be your personality that will string them together and keep the audience in there seats.
Cheers Chris
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well then, I guess my instincts were correct, and I am on the right track!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Getting Priorities straight (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL