The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Too much jogging is as bad as doing nothing ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/entertainme......-nothing

Unhealthy structural changes in the heart, it claims. What say you?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Remember Jim Fixx...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2015, landmark wrote:
Http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/entertainme......-nothing

Unhealthy structural changes in the heart, it claims. What say you?

I don't know. But I would not be surprised if excessive running did do that.

Also, a friend of mine took up running over a decade ago. Today, her resting heart rate is something like 32 beats a minute. Seriously. Certainly no higher, and maybe even a couple / few beats less! I mean, she is (relatively) close to having the world record for female with the lowest resting heart rate. She went to give blood a while back and they made her walk up and down stairs to try and get her heart to beat faster. I think they no longer accept her at the blood donor clinic. And fwiw I guess she would be classified as a "fast" jogger given her performance in various marathons etc.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Remember Jim Fixx...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

"In 1986 exercise physiologist Kenneth Cooper published an inventory of the risk factors that might have contributed to Fixx's death. Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed (his father had a heart attack at 35 and died of another at 43, and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart), and had several lifestyle issues. Fixx was a heavy smoker prior to beginning running at age 36, he had a stressful occupation, he had undergone a second divorce, and his weight before he took up running had ballooned to 220 pounds (100 kg)."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
"Too much jogging is as bad as doing nothing ?"

Well, that may be the title of the article but there are quite a few other qualifications within the article so no, I don't really buy what the article title is asking. But hey, you know me, I'm just your regular science denier. Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
As I understand exercise physiology long hard running enlarges the heart and is great while you are competing, but when you stop you have a large heart.

On the other hand intensive interval training thickens the walls of the heart, producing a stronger pump. This is less damaging in the long run.

The ideal is a mix - a bigish heart with thick walls. That leads to long life and health, and can be achieved by a mixed exercise program.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Too much jogging is as bad as doing nothing ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL