The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The Story of the Ladder Levitation (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
A 30 minute documentary showing the history of the Blaney Ladder Levitation from creation to its final home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6u0mI8s0tk

Features David Copperfield, Lance Burton, James Dimmare, Stan Allen, Peter Reveen and Steve Dacri.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
WOW!!

That's the BEST 30 minutes I have spent watching a "magic clip" in a very long time!

Walter Blaney comes across a very humble and likeable man. How refreshing!

Thank you for sharing this, it was awesome!!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, Mark Boody Illusionist wrote:
WOW!!

That's the BEST 30 minutes I have spent watching a "magic clip" in a very long time!

Walter Blaney comes across a very humble and likeable man. How refreshing!

Thank you for sharing this, it was awesome!!

Mark

Thanks for the nice comments Mark.

Yes Walter is a most humble and likeable man. He just turned 87 a few weeks ago and is still going strong. We decided to do this video series a few years ago to preserve both that special nature about him as well as the great history in magic he has lived.
You can see several more videos at http://www.walterzaneyblaney.com if you are interested.

Best Regards,

Tim
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I just clicked on the link but the video is no longer available. Smile is there another link to watch it? Sobs.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, Zlwin Chew wrote:
I just clicked on the link but the video is no longer available. Smile is there another link to watch it? Sobs.

It is indeed still online. I have found that for some iPad and iPhone users it won't play. ( youtube issue ) Try it on a computer and there should be no problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6u0mI8s0tk

Best,

Tim
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Great video. One of my favorite illusions.

I prefer the name "Anti Gravity Board" to "Ladder Levitation". ("Ladder Levitation" is the trade name among magicians , but really now , do we want to draw any attention to the step-ladders ? Aside from drawing attention to something that should not have any attention placed on it , there's the logic of the name: the ladders don't levitate , the board and the person laying on the board defy gravity and remain suspended on air. )
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I spent some pleasant time this morning browsing through YouTube for footage of Walter Blaney performing , but unfortunately also had this pop up in the search results :

Ugh. Who is this clown ? I seriously doubt he has the real work on the Blaney suspension , but is probably selling a crude computer rendered mock-up of the basic working. Totally pointless . This jerk's web site proclaims: "Magic Secrets For Sale ! We sell only the Secrets, no props or equipment!"

I blurred out his website URL on the screen capture , not wanting to give him any attention , but then I noticed looking at the Home page of his Secrets site it says :

Quote:
Copyright © 1998-2015 DavidsMagicWebsite.Com®
All Rights Reserved, Updated: 1/20/2015
About Magic Dave... Site Author, Publisher, Designer and Webmaster - Metro Detroit, Michigan

Made me wonder if this could be another site by the infamous David J. Castle "Ph.D" , "Michigan's BEST Magician" ?

But the "About" page says the site owner is "age 70" and shows a small photo (presumably of "Magic Dave") which looks nothing like David J. Castle.

Anyone know who this is ? At his age Walter Blaney shouldn't have to put up with this crap and I'm sure he's tired of going after this type of pirate scum , but if the guy is actually selling the secret to Walter's illusion he ought to get a cease- and-desist letter.

Look how he lists it :

Has the gall to say: "The Secret is finally revealed here, after over 50 years of secrecy ...we own the ORIGINAL © Copyrighted written explaination and diagram for this Illusion in the Entire world-wide web and Real World!"

mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Walter says that he got great reactions to the suspension when he performed for magicians. I wonder if got the same reaction from the lay audience. Magicians will be blown away by it because it goes against any known method at the time. To the lay audience, it just looks like another levitation illusion.

However, if one had the money, it's much better than the Super X.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
One of my favorite magical memories got edited out of this video but one day David Copperfield called me and let me know that Walter was coming over to his place to drop off the ladder levitation. I remember the phone call so clearly... "Hey Ray, what are you doing right now? Want to come play?" I went over to David's apartment which at the time was up on the hill above the Magic Caste with my then wife and assistant Laurie and were met by David and Walter setting up the levitation in David's living room. He performed it for us using my wife on the board and then broke down every move, and subtlety for David to see. It was one of my favorite days in magic getting to play with this up close and have him explain every nuance of this amazing effect.
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The Story of the Ladder Levitation (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL