The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tricks and tools (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
In magic we have things like color changes and vanishes, productions, ect. These are just utilities to be combined with other things and to be done by themselves (stand alone effects) limits you. When I was really starting to learn magic and understanding a wider spectrum I wanted every use for coils, tips, vanishers, ect. The old dogs helped me realize that some things like tools for a car are not always able to be used frequently. On occation you need something and it's there but things are tools. Some items are great like the thumb tip but 101 uses and I may only apply 10 and on occation but that is fine.

I found myself limiting what I could do by trying to workthings around any given thing like a tip. Like I could do 5 shows using a tip in everyone. Just as you can't realistically go camping with just a knife like rambo. You can't expect to fix a car with one screwdriver or a show with one prop. I try now to put devices the last thing on the list and realize what I want to do and if it involves a device along the way I might have it. Otherwise it does fine in my tool box till next time. If you are a beginner try not to think you can get a thumb tip, pull devise, coil, invisible thread, ect and be James Bond. Even special forces use their heads and are trained to use it.

Enough analogies and metaphors though. I try to weigh things if I come to a point where I might want something extra. I try to think if I would need to have that devise or if there is another method. Sometimes our hands and misdirection are the best things.
Jeremy Gates
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Nice comments.

I think the focus should be on how to entertain and have fun. Sometimes that comes from a prop, some times from a story, some times from a trick, some times from an idea for a routine, some times from a joke, sometimes from a life experience, etc.

For example, just the other day I was thinking it would be funny to have a little piece of a manila folder tab that says: "Your Card" with an arrow pointing in. When their card is lost in the middle of the deck, say in an ambitious card routine, you insert the tab in the middle of the deck, right where their card was inserted. You then riffle the cards and move the tab up a bit. Riffle it more and move it up more. Then riffle it a third time, confident it has traveled to the top of the deck. I think the visual is humorous and it brings more entertainment to a routine.

I heard Kozmo, a person who has been a street magician for over 25 years, say: "I likely wouldn't pay for another trick, but another line... that he would pay for."

I feel like I don't want to buy a trick, but I am interested in investing in good entertainment.

KJ
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend IKJ! A "prof" whom I "had" in college said: "Before you begin, DEFINE YOUR TERMS!!!"

You CANNOT B U Y A TRICK. You can buy a PROP or a SECRET. The PROP or SECRET is used to P E R F O R M a TRICK!!! A TRICK, LIKE MUSIC, ONLY EXISTS WHILE IT IS BEING PERFORMED.

You CANNOT I N V E S T IN GOOD ENTERTAINMENT. YOU CANNOT B U Y ENTERTAINMENT.

PERFORMING A TRICK IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING. >>> M A G I C IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING. <<<

The M A G I C I A N 'S "TASK" IS TO MAKE the PERFORMANCE OF THE TRICK ENTERTAINING, with his P R E S E N T A T I O N.

I think that your idea with the little "tab" could be a "cute" visual piece of business. --And, I don't do card tricks!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend J.G.

"ANALOGIA SEMPER CLAUDITER"! (If I remember my Latin (it has been over 50 years!) ANALOGIES ALWAYS LIMP!

"Things" (?) like color changes, vanishes, productions ECT.(???) ("ETC." is abbreviated form for "ET CETERA".)are E F F E C T S, not "utilities". (c.f. FITZKEE)

After that, I'm afraid that, despite your good intentions, your analogies, don't just limp, they stumble.

I'm sure that your intentions were good, but, before you begin to discuss philosophy, you need to have a good understanding of terminology.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
The devil is in the details Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Dick,

Yes. BTW, when I say "investing", I mean to INVEST TIME.

As you know best, magic is not really about the investment of money, it's primarily about the investment of time.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tricks and tools (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL