The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January & February 2015 entrée: Owain B. Miles » » A Fav » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Hi. What is one of your favorite effects or routines to perform, and can you describe how you perform it?

KJ
Owain B. Miles
View Profile
V.I.P.
18 Posts

Profile of Owain B. Miles
Hey KJ thanks for your question.

Bars are my usual haunt so I normally go for a simple to follow effect. A straight up ambitious card routine with a card to mouth finish always gets a great reaction. Time misdirection is my friend during this as I often find myself with a few spectators filling in from awkward angles. So by getting the spectators to do some of the work for me pushing in the cards etc it takes away the heat from my hand movement and keeps the audience managed.

I’ve started performing blockhead recently. They get to check out the nail sign it and proceed to insert the nail up my nose. Peoples faces are priceless that's for sure! Blockhead is a great singular moment of visual magic that really needs no patter. I really love getting them to tap in the nail grosses them out but it really does gets people going, they can’t stop themselves from watching even though they probably want to stop they just can’t help themselves. The element of danger, disgust and impossibility is so curious for the people watching.

Finally I also test out submitted material to see how practical it really is. Josh Maddocks Pipe Dream is a great example of this. A fantastic card to impossible location, I played around with different places that their card could appear. Probably my favourite would be around the stem of a wine glass. Without giving to much away I do the set up as I’m introducing myself to the group then doing one or two quick effects then into the routine the time misdirection takes away any chance of them thinking I was near their glass at any point.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks!
KJ
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
About doing Blockhead in bars... Isn't that dangerous with drunk people in bars?

I would imagine a drunk guy running up to you wanting to knock the hammer into your nose. *cover eyes with hands*

Card appearing around the stem of a wine glass? Wow! Now that's something I have not seen. Big ups!
Owain B. Miles
View Profile
V.I.P.
18 Posts

Yeah Blockhead on the wrong side of the bar can go very wrong! It's not something I would recommend doing haha. Just to be safe I always do it over the bar stops any clumsy people bumping in to me.

Yeah since we released Pipe Dream I've heard of people making the card appear in all sorts of crazy places. Around straws, in gum packets and I know Josh has it in the opening of their beer bottle very brave!

Owain
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Pipe Dream! I have got to check this out! Thanks for sharing your magic with us, Owain.

Be safe with them nails. If you need to, do insure your nostrils. Just in case.
Owain B. Miles
View Profile
V.I.P.
18 Posts

Not a problem its been a pleasure. Don't worry I will make sure I'm extra careful!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January & February 2015 entrée: Owain B. Miles » » A Fav » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL