The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oscar question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I wonder if anyone can answer this tough Oscar question w/o Googling:

What was the only song for which Rodgers and Hammerstein won an Oscar?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
A couple of fun followup questions.

Which of the two won more Oscars?

Which of the two won the Pulitzer Prize?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That's really a trick question, landmark. They only composed ONE musical as an original film. None of their many compositions for stage musicals would have qualified for the best original song Oscar.

The original film musical was State Fair in 1945. I'll let others guess what the song was.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I hear Israel has given Iran an Oscar.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
That's really a trick question, landmark. They only composed ONE musical as an original film. None of their many compositions for stage musicals would have qualified for the best original song Oscar.

The original film musical was State Fair in 1945. I'll let others guess what the song was.

Right, Bob!
Anyone up for the actual song? Lots of people covered it, including Sinatra, Ella, and Doris Day. But it was new to me.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It Might As Well Be Spring

You can find the original movie clip from State Fair on YouTube, but it's unbearably sappy.

The wonderful Blossom Dearie does it in French and it works great:

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks, Landmark ... Love Blossom Dearie!

Can anyone explain how capture and save videos from the internet? I'm clueless and could use some advice. Also, once you've done that, how to edit parts of a video. Thanks! (I use a Mac).
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
1) To download and save YouTube videos:
I use an extension to Firefox on my Mac: http://www.tubeenhancer.com/ It's free and works fine.

2)To edit a video:
Lots of programs, and they can get tricky. The simplest is to use the Quicktime Player already on your computer which allows you to "trim" a video (front and back) but not much more.

Then you can try iMovie which should be on your Mac; there's a learning curve but it will do the job nicely without any more expense. More professionally, you can spend a lot of money for Final Cut Pro, but that's kind of like trying to kill a fly with a cannon.

3)If you're just interested in posting a YouTube video here, then quote this post and you'll see how I do it. The numbers and letters inside the brackets is the part of the YouTube URL after the = sign.

One more Blossom Dearie--
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Even though I have a PC, I still use Apple's QuickTime Pro to do a lot of video editing. It really has a lot of good features and is very inexpensive. (You can upgrade your regular QuickTime player simply by purchasing a registration that will unlock all of the "Pro" features.)

There are MANY video download applications available as Firefox extensions. Currently I use "Download Helper," which downloads and coverts most on-line videos, including YouTube) to several different formats. I download as or convert to MP4 for easy editing.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks, Landmark and Mastermindreader. Unfortunately my computer seems unwilling to accept Firefox. or any of the software download programs I found online. But I will look into Apple Quicktime Pro.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Arthur, it sounds like you don't have administrator privileges for your computer account.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks, Landmark ... Can you explain what that means?
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
If the computer was set up by someone other than yourself, say, an employer, there is typically a special administrator account. That is, lots of people log into the same computer, but only certain accounts have been set to administrator privileges so that random people don't gum up the works. Sometimes, especially in a work environment, only administrator accounts have the power to install new programs onto a computer. Administrators have their own password. You would need to find out that password.

If none of this sounds even vaguely like your issue, then I apologize for taking your time.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
No apologies necessary, Landmark ... I appreciate your insights. As I mentioned earlier, I'm clueless when it comes to video computer stuff.

Anyway, thanks again. I don't think that's the problem. Will do some more investigating/asking around and try to figure it out. I may just have an older operating system with is incompatible with newer technology.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Arthur-

Exactly what version of what operating system do you have? And what is the make and model of the computer and how old is it?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Mastermindreader, it's a Mac Book Pro, operating system OSX 10.5.8. Everything (memory, speed etc.) maxed out to capacity. About 5 years old.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oscar question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL